Buying a house

Matt123

Registered
Any expats from the UK bought a house in Argentina? If so get in touch with me please!!!

Yes I'm a Brit and bought a house with my Argentine GF.
It's nothing like how it happens in UK...nada que ver.

tangobob said:
I bought an apartment, does that count?

I need some advice on transferring money from the UK. Can I send you an email? Cheers

Don't know if you have a bank account here in Argentina, but if you do, you can do a transfer from your UK account to your Argentine account.

I used http://www.moneycorp.com/ I bought u$s when they were weak against the £ and transferred it to an account here in Argentina a when I needed it.

Whatever the currency it will be given to you in AR$ pesos, if you need u$s you will be changed another commission for changing it....

When the money arrived in my Argentina bank account I just had to sign a form to declare where the money came from, and what it was for: buying property. I think a non Argentine resident can only buy u$s 5000 worth of u$s per month, hence the need for the form it allows you to buy more u$s for the purchase of property

when you by a house here you DO NOT pay a mortgage. you pay the whole thing in cash, and i mean CASH!!!

Yep, mortages doesnt exist in Argentina since 2001. I saw few adds last year, but the rates were hight and you had to have an argentinian income (and now I am thinking about the visa if you are a foreigner), like ARS$15000 monthly. And when you do a transaction of more than U$S 100.000, you have to pay an argentinian tax, I dont remember the percentage, any accountant might give you that information.

We bought a house...and there is much to be cautious about. Better to do it in the white than the black. Do NOT do anything that you would not do in your home country. Read the contract in full & do not accept any excuses as why this page is not there or anyone telling you that it does not matter. Hold your ground & watch your cash on the table. Count & Recount the money. Sometimes they will try to tell you it is short. Take your own trusted translator & legal advisor with you. If you don't have one, PM me & I can advise. Also your realtor will expect to be paid in cash, before the deal is even closed. Most likely that will be the last service you will get from him/her. Good luck.

You can do the transaction in a bank, so that the money is wired from your home account to your temporary Argentinean account (it's poss to set this up just for the purchase with only a CDI) and then after you sign, the bank will release the money to the vendor. It's up to them if they want to take cash home in a handbag...

Back