Buying a motorbike and heading south

esllou

Registered
I quite like the idea of buying a motorbike and heading off to the south for a few weeks. Is that immensely impractical?

If I found a bike in segundamano or something similar, what else would I need? I have a UK driving licence. Would I need insurance? Anything else?

Is driving around patagonia like that (or elsewhere in the "country") pretty safe?

my aim would just be to go cheap hotel to cheap hotel. Anyone interested?? We could recreate Easy Rider. :cool:

I think officially you need an international drivers licence but I would not bother about it, rules in Argentina don't exist

esllou, a driver's license would be suffice when driving in Argentina for a short period of time; but please note that buying a vehicle either used or brand new would be a more involved than what we would be accustomed to. You have to go to the place where the vehicle is registered (if used) or where the license plate will be issued (if new) and fill out forms. And wait for these to be picked up on a set date when all docs have been verified by the police (motor number and such).
The idea of traversing the Patagonia on a bike is wonderful but best to travel with a buddy, safety in numbers.
And always make sure to have insurance coverage - it is just the right thing to do.
Have fun and good luck!

Hi Esilou,

Love the idea...and in fact have done it myself! I bought a Honda Falcon new here. It is a 400 cc so small enough for the city and big enough to travel the entire country. I really am enjoying it and highly suggest this size for you. I bought it new and as it is made in Brazil, is quite affordable compared to used 10 or even 15 year old imports of BMW, TwinAfrica or TransAlp. The paperwork was not a problem and was taken care of in 1 hour at the AFIP...even with my beginner Spanish.
Let me know if you would like more information through private message. Also, I would also like a riding buddy and plan to go down south along the coast and back up along the Andes..in December or so. Week trips to Iguazu, Mendoza, Corrientes and Cordoba all beckon!
P.

Back