Buying a motorbike in BA

Hi French Jurist,

could you tell me as a resident how do you do the paper work to be able to drive 2 times 8 months. Do you register the bike under your name or do you leave it under the name of the person you buy it from? How do you exit the country with the bike?

Thanks

Franck

Hi Franck,

I'll have more details soon (will have lunch with a Customs agent dealing with this... he he !). From what I know, the vehicle needs to remain under the previous owner's name. You can exit the country with the bike since the bike has a foreign registration.

All I can say is that this "subtlety" is not well known (I guess it's the first time it's mentionned on the forum ?) but that works, that's for sure (I even know an Argentinean guy who's been driving a KLR for 16 months that way).

Also, it seems you can benefit from this "subtlety" if you really know where to go & ask (I spent a few days digging the subject : For instance if you go to the Customs in the city of Campana, they'll tell you it's impossible).

The Customs agent I'll have lunch with soon is precisely the one authorizing such things (everything is legal btw, no need to "tip").

I'll tell more soon (likely in two weeks).

veedub said:
Thanks for everyones responses so far. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DNI? Also, does anyone know what the deal is with taking the bike across borders in to other countries. Is the paperwork going to be a nightmare??

Whoa, if you're still asking these types of questions you better do a lot more research before buying a bike in Argentina and being held up at the border by some bureaucratic nightmare which you're almost certain to suffer. Try the HUBB forum or ADV Rider Forum. Both have plenty of information that will help you get beyond those most basic of questions. You can find both forums easily by googling them.

You will have a great time though.

ETA, Forget it, didn't realize this was a resurrected post discussing a totally different subject, which, by the way is a definite possibility. You just need the right notarized documents, which I'm sure the customs agent will tell you.... Ride safe!

French jurist, will be very interested to hear more about that. Otherwise I may be heading to Chile in a few months when I want to buy a bike.

deeve007 said:
French jurist, will be very interested to hear more about that. Otherwise I may be heading to Chile in a few months when I want to buy a bike.

I'll be having lunch with that Customs Officer soon (within 2 or 3 weeks) especially to learn the details. Again, it's all legit'.

I'm also interested in owning a motorbike in BA. Ill be living there for a year. Is it really dangerous to ride a motorbike in BA with all the traffic?

Back