Buying a motorbike in BA

veedub

Registered
Hi

I will be in BA in a week or so and would like to buy a motorbike to ride to Patagonia and then hopefully to Comlombia where I will sell it.

I am trying to find some good websites for buying motorbikes. Can any one suggest some?

Also, does anyone know if, compared to other countries like the USA if motorbikes are expensive. They seem to be very expensive in Brazil where I am at the moment.

Finally, does anyone know if I will have any problems trying to sell the bike later in Colombia?

Thanks
VD

I thought with that name, you would have wanted a splitty.

Small motos seem pretty cheap, but I have not seen anything, anywhere with any grunt.
Good luck, I think you will need it>

veedub said:
Hi

I will be in BA in a week or so and would like to buy a motorbike to ride to Patagonia and then hopefully to Comlombia where I will sell it.

I am trying to find some good websites for buying motorbikes. Can any one suggest some?

Also, does anyone know if, compared to other countries like the USA if motorbikes are expensive. They seem to be very expensive in Brazil where I am at the moment.

Finally, does anyone know if I will have any problems trying to sell the bike later in Colombia?

Thanks
VD

I don't know if you will have trouble selling it in Columbia. But AFAIK you will have a hell of a time trying to register it in Argentina if you don't have your DNI. I've heard it's easier in Uruguay.

Thanks for everyones responses so far. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DNI? Also, does anyone know what the deal is with taking the bike across borders in to other countries. Is the paperwork going to be a nightmare??

Hi i think buying and registering it will be no problem if you get someone who knows how.
The problem you may have is taking it out of Argentina. I own a car here which i bought a year ago, and took it out of the country several times (without a DNI). Back in January though, me and some friends were driving from BA up to Florianopolis in Brazil. When we reached Colon, on the boarder of Uruguay, the customs asked for my papers and finally said there's no way i'm taking my car out of the country if i don't have argentine residency (even though i'd explained i'd taken it out several times before).
It was quite a depressing thought as had been planning this trip for ages.
Anyway, finally we decided to drive 200km north to the next boarder point near Concordia to see our luck. This is a small, easy going boarder point in the woods with not much going on and the customs seemed much more relaxed than the stressed out ones up in Colon. Here they stamped all our documents and all was looking good, but the final guy said the same thing, i can't take my car out of argentina if i'm not a resident. Luckily though this guy told us something which the others didn't, that if we go to a public notary i can give permission to my Argentine girlfriend to take the car out of the country with me in it (even though she doesn't drive!). So after a day delay of getting that sorted we finally got over the boarder and up to Brazil for the month.
Anyway apparently it's something they've tightened up on not letting non-residents take their vehicules out of the country so i'd look into that first.

veedub said:
Thanks for everyones responses so far. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DNI? Also, does anyone know what the deal is with taking the bike across borders in to other countries. Is the paperwork going to be a nightmare??

The DNI is like the local tax number or something. Your own personal number you get by being a local or a resident. You need it for a bunch of things. I was told you _need_ it to register a vehicle.

Maybe Fettucini can tell us more about the requirements or where to look them up.

I ride a Harley which I bought in BA just for the reasons mentioned above. When dealing with moving them to or from Ar., it gets costly unless you have the proper documents. Even then, it can be a big pain in the ass..

Good luck and ride safe.

Originally Posted by veedub

DNI = Documento Nacional de Identidad (National (personal) Identification Document) Argentinean citizens only, foreigners have a passport issued by they country of origin.

It is a number (your ID number) in this document is your name, date and place of birth, your photo (as it's in a passport) and your right thumb fingerprint.

This document is to identify yourself when is requested by authorities, police for example, banks to open an account, sign lease and legal documents, buy real state, a car, a motorbike or do any legal or business transactions, etc. if you have one you must carry it with you all the time, also if you are issued with an Argentinean passport this ID number will the same.

Is the paperwork going to be a nightmare??

:D All paperwork in Argentina is a nightmare better get used to it there is no escape to the red tape in this country....enjoy it.

Hmmm...thanks again for responses. I am thinking now to hire a bike and let the rental company make sure I have the correct docs to get the bike in to Chile etc. After all, they do this for a living and speak proper spanish so could save me some serious headaches. This one seems ok so far, but still quite expensive.

http://www.motocare.com.ar/rental/

Back