Buying air tickets with US bank card, etc.

Wryter47

Registered
I've been trying to use a debit card on my NYC bank to buy tickets to get back to the US
for a high school reunion, and have had no luck because United says I need a credit card
and not a debit card. Can this be true? My debit card can pay out in dollars or pesos, and
I use it frequently at restaurants where the bill comes in pesos (natch) and when I get
the monthly statement the charge is shown translated to dollars, and the exchange rate
is usually better than average.

I am prepared to go to United's office in Retiro if necessary, but if they have already refused
to take my debit card, I don't know what good it would do.

Is there any workaround on this kind of thing? One would think that a one-payment charge
for an airline ticket would be pretty basic stuff.

why don't you simply buy on expedia.com or orbitz.com or cheaptickets.com.

zero hassle.

if you have funds on your debit card, it will go through.

My international debit card seems to work as a credit card when needed, I generally don't have any problems with using it online, other than with specific airlines with odd verification policies (Avianca, Latam). If you go to the office with the card it may very well be accepted, paying in person seems to be more flexible (at least that was my experience with Avianca, I was too disgusted with Latam to deal with them anymore. I prefer to deal directly with the airlines especially if there are any transfers involved, then they're responsible, an online reseller won't help you out if there are any missed connections.

My experience is that it depends on the vendor, not only for airlines but other sellers as well. Sometimes my U.S. debit card is accepted, other times I have to use my credit card. PayPal might be another option to consider, by linking the account to the card you prefer to use.

My international debit card seems to work as a credit card when needed, I generally don't have any problems with using it online, other than with specific airlines with odd verification policies (Avianca, Latam). If you go to the office with the card it may very well be accepted, paying in person seems to be more flexible (at least that was my experience with Avianca, I was too disgusted with Latam to deal with them anymore. I prefer to deal directly with the airlines especially if there are any transfers involved, then they're responsible, an online reseller won't help you out if there are any missed connections.
Online travel agencies will help with missed connections.

This is what travel agents are for.
Never mind that you’ll probably pay less than with the airline directly.
(Full disclosure: I’m a travel agent.)

Back