Buying Argentinian government bonds

Lebacs, I think I read, are only open to banks..but now being offered to corporations as well.

I think that same Bloomberg article mentioned that cost of credit default swaps went down (meaning less expectation of default), but this changes all the time.

Bloomberg also noted that inflation is probably more near 20% compared to 9% a year ago. And peso is thought to be headed towards 4.2 by years end.

(sorry i can't post the link, i read it on my iPhone app)

A&A said:
Lebacs, I think I read, are only open to banks..but now being offered to corporations as well.

I think that same Bloomberg article mentioned that cost of credit default swaps went down (meaning less expectation of default), but this changes all the time.

Bloomberg also noted that inflation is probably more near 20% compared to 9% a year ago. And peso is thought to be headed towards 4.2 by years end.

(sorry i can't post the link, i read it on my iPhone app)
The point for me is, even at this rate +12%, "Companies refrained from buying debt at the first auction they were allowed to participate in last week." Private equities were not purchasing. Kind of suggests, they are not so bullish on the Argentine economy. I would die for a US Treasury note at 12%. It is currently paying .17%. Argentina's economy defies any logic. The whole world is in a slump and the only exception being ARGENTINA. AR must be the pillar of economic success? Congratulations Christina.

Is buying Argentine bonds in the U.S. and selling them in Argentina still a viable way to get large sums of money into the country at favorable rates?

Cash has always been king in Argentina, preferably US 100$ bills with the Big Heads, in perfect condition.

Cash has always been king in Argentina, preferably US 100$ bills with the Big Heads, in perfect condition.
But bringing cash in is limited to $10,000 USD. What do you do if you want to buy property?

Back