Buying Real Estate in BA

MBerton416

Registered
Can someone with knowledge/experience with purchasing/selling real estate in BA lay out the basics and steps involved, costs etc in purchasing a condo in the city? The prices look too good to be true.

Can someone with knowledge/experience with purchasing/selling real estate in BA lay out the basics and steps involved, costs etc in purchasing a condo in the city? The prices look too good to be true.
Click on the magnifying glass next to the word search in the upper right hand corner of any page.

Enter the words "buying property" in the search box.

Check "search titles only" and leave the "by" space blank.

Click on "search" and begin reading.

Last edited:

I can recommend Marcia Williamson. Gateway to South America. She was with me every step of the way when I was looking for and buying my apartment. She speaks fluent Spanish and her business is helping foreigners buy real estate. She is great! She has a Facebook page and you can message her from there.

Hi All
Every time I talk about buying an apartment in BA my (mainly expat) friends say, "No. Bad idea." When I ask why, the usual response is "You can never sell again!" They talk about looking in windows of local agents where the same property has been there for two or three years. I think this is pessimistic and as I am looking to the long haul if not necessarily to be buried in Chacarita, I sense this is good time to buy - providing (as the well informed here will say), I choose the right area with an eye to eventual resale. Any advice from those in the know? Thanks!

Hi All
Every time I talk about buying an apartment in BA my (mainly expat) friends say, "No. Bad idea." When I ask why, the usual response is "You can never sell again!" They talk about looking in windows of local agents where the same property has been there for two or three years. I think this is pessimistic and as I am looking to the long haul if not necessarily to be buried in Chacarita, I sense this is good time to buy - providing (as the well informed here will say), I choose the right area with an eye to eventual resale. Any advice from those in the know? Thanks!
I got the same comments. But I am here to stay.

Plan on 10% in fees and taxes above the agreed upon sales price
Expect a headache and understand no one is looking out for your interests
Request copy of latest building expenses and minutes of the meetings to see if there are expensas extraordinarias or major problems you should be aware of.
Good luck!

We own a small place in a nice older building in Barrio Norte and last time we were there (xmas 2019) we looked at a 2 bedroom listed at 219,000 being sold my an Argentine living in NYC. We just found out it sold for $120k. Found this a bit shocking. Surely this is a one off or has the market come down?

Should buying price be agreed to in US or Pesos?

I've read that buyers are expected to pay their real estate agent a fee, which strikes me as odd (being an agent in Canada). Is an agent required? Are their fees negotiable? What would a "fair" fee be?

Thanks!

Should buying price be agreed to in US or Pesos?

I've read that buyers are expected to pay their real estate agent a fee, which strikes me as odd (being an agent in Canada). Is an agent required? Are their fees negotiable? What would a "fair" fee be?

Thanks!
Based on my experience buying three properties and selling two off them, the price will be expressed in dollars. Most sellers will only accept dollars..

Unless you buy directly from the seller, the buyer almost always pays a four percent commission and the seller often pays two percent.

An agent is not required. All they really do is get the buyer and seller together and take a commission for doing so.

Real estate agent will always show the exclusive listings they have avialble, but not many (if any) others.

Splitting a four percent commission kills the motivation to work with other agents.

That being said, In today's (nearly dead) market, you might be able to get an agent to accept three percent.

Based on my experience buying three properties and selling two off them, the price will be expressed in dollars. Most sellers will only accept dollars..

Unless you buy directly from the seller, the buyer almost always pays a four percent commission and the seller often pays two percent.

An agent is not required. All they really do is get the buyer and seller together and take a commission for doing so.

Real estate agent will always show the exclusive listings they have avialble, but not many (if any) others.

Splitting a four percent commission kills the motivation to work with other agents.

That being said, In today's (nearly dead) market, you might be able to get an agent to accept three percent.
Very odd that the fee is paid by the buyer as opposed to by the seller. Or maybe that's just because I'm used to the opposite!

Back