Buying Real Estate in BA

Many Argentines have US banks accounts. The ideal way is to find a seller in that situation and transfer electronically, as mentioned above, in the presence of the escribano (and the seller), at least for the first transfer (if daily limits means that needs to happen over several days). Unfortunately, those sellers in that happy situation are generally offloading properties at the higher end of the market.

For those of us who don't have suitcases of dollars in cash available to buy property but who intend to stay long-term, what are our options when it comes to financing via mortgage or some sort of equivalent? Has anyone tried it and what has the experience been like?
basically impossible.
Current Argentine interest rates range from 48% to 78%, always variable, not fixed interest, and loans are short term. The idea of a 30 year fixed interest rate loan simply does not exist.
There are some short term- 1 yr to maybe 5 yr - loans available, but at very high interest rates, and, usually, requiring collateral exceeding the amount of the loan.

Argentina has done real estate sales all in cash for many many years. US cash, not virtual cash, but real one hundred dollar bills. When we bought, in 2007, we wire transfered from the USA, and then, at the closing, our transfer was converted by the bank into hundreds, which then were run thru a counting machine, shoved across the table, run thru a counting machine again, and then deposited into an argentine bank account.
If you cannot afford to pay cash, you cannot afford to buy here.

A Seller may have a USA bank account? and suggest a direct transfer ?

Many Argentines have US banks accounts. The ideal way is to find a seller in that situation and transfer electronically, as mentioned above, in the presence of the escribano (and the seller), at least for the first transfer (if daily limits means that needs to happen over several days). Unfortunately, those sellers in that happy situation are generally offloading properties at the higher end of the market.
My seller had an Argentine bank account. And my apartment was less than 100,000.

It would make sense for someone without real experience to hire an honest agent or lawyer to help evaluate and to make the lowest possible bids in order to get a great deal. Do such people exist and can anyone recommend an honest agent who would be paid (say) $500-$1000 for their skills depending on results?

Here is an interesting thread about determining the value of property in BA:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the capital gains tax which applies to anyone who sells a property bought after January 1, 2018.

Even if the purchase was not motivated by making an eventual profit when selling, thanks to devaluation, the capital gains tax could seriously affect an expat who didn't know about the tax (because a typical BA realtor won't tell them abut it) and, for some reason (such as not wanting to stay in Argentina), decides to bail out and has to pay a 15% tax on a phantom capital gain (in pesos ).

From August of 2019

Most of my friends who are realtors are lucky to sell a property every few months . Now with the new scenario it will be much more difficult . Prices in Buenos Aires in US dollars for being a cash market have been high now for a long time . There is no justification for these prices as there is a tremendous amount of offer for sale and low demand . Rental returns are at historic lows and in many cases people are losing money holding a property in Buenos Aires as costs to maintain are very high . Also now with the new capital gains tax of 15% it makes little sense to buy a property as the risk factor is high . For example if I brought a property in January 2018 for 100 thousand dollars or at that time 1 ,700.000 pesos and now resell it for the same amount US$ 100,000 this is currently 5,700,000 pesos Banco de la Nacio venta .

This means that a 15% tax must be paid on the false earning ( ganancia ) of 4 million pesos or 600 thousand pesos US$ 11,000 approximate . This is a most unfair law as it does not contemplate the sale and purchase of property in us dollars and takes the peso as its base . This means that the seller is paying for the devaluation of the peso even though he did his transaction in us dollars.

Imagine if the peso reaches 100 or more the tax will be brutal .

Please note this only applies for those who brought from 2018 .

If it is any consolation, it is the same in the US: when selling a property, inflation is not factored in.

That's fair for those flipping properties, but if one sells a home after living in it for thirty years, about 95% of the price difference is just inflation.

Can someone with knowledge/experience with purchasing/selling real estate in BA lay out the basics and steps involved, costs etc in purchasing a condo in the city? The prices look too good to be true.

Be prepared to play a cat and mouse game with the crooked realtors who want to hide the truth and jack up the price, squeezing the maximum possible out of you by comparison to the better properties you could have bought with the same amount of money. It also depends on how generous and patient you are and whether or not you are willing to study the market by taking it slow.

Realtor can and will most likely lie about plumbing, services, building expenses, assessed value, square meters, etc, you must check everything yourself and push your escrow office to double check the documents and unpaid bills, otherwise you will end up like me, paying previous owner's unpaid gas, electricity and water bills. the utility companies don't care who owes the money, to transfer the service under your name they force you to pay up, luckily the amounts I paid weren't too bad.

If the building you are interested in is old, some love those old colonial ones, check and see if it has lead plumbing, don't listen to what the realtor says, go in with a cutter and scratch the pipes to see if they are soft or not, usually under the bathroom sink there are some pipes exposed. Also check if the building (even if relatively new) wasn't painted recently, this can be an indication that something was wrong and some cracked were sealed and now it's all covered and you would never know what structural problems it might have (very common because those idiot contractors pour cement at noon on hot scorching days instead of doing it early in the mornings or on a cloudy day, very little building oversight.)

Overall I would not recommend buying into a brand new condo building unless you know who the architect is and the quality of construction. Most buildings are NOT built well. I walked around construction sites countless times looking at exposed rebar at the bottoms of balconies and at the load baring concrete pillars, they cover it all and think it's ok, then several years later the rust comes through the paint and the building loses value fast.

The windows in new building are often times of horrendous quality, I used to rent in a new building and the rain water was accumulating inside the window frame, there was always black mold under the window, even the in the summer! i painted it and even left dehumidifier there but no, rain is rain and when it's built like shit then that's what you are going to get.

If you got money then go and look up a good architect with full building specs and go see every detail for yourself, talk to neighbor before you even talk to the realtor. Extra homework in this corrupt country comes a long way.

Otherwise, the time to invest within CABA is now. We hit the rock bottom already this year and I believe it's only going to go up from now on, albeit slowly, thanks to the looming default but demand is rising, too many young motivated venezuelans, hard working bolivians, paraguayans, tranditional families and myriad of other people who are saving dollars, patiently waiting for their chance to get into the real estate market of BA.

I would just like to point out that the "colonial" buildings in Buenos Aires date from the 1700s. Argentina became independent in 1816. Most "older" buildings like mine, that people like to buy apartments in, are actually 20th century- mine was built in 1905- and its style is not in any way "colonial", but is kind of French Regency.
Buildings from 1890 thru 1930 will often feature extremely thick walls, which make them quiet and well insulated, tall ceilings which keep them cool, big sturdy windows and doors, solid wood floors of high quality clear wood, beautiful tile and plaster work, and quality hardware.

But an older building will usually mean you set aside money to update the kitchen and the baths- at which time you rip out any lead pipe- and updating the electricity.

If you do these things, you end up with a very high quality apartment, for less than those crappy new concrete ice cube trays, but you have to be able to manage construction- no big deal for me, we have been doing that for 4 decades in the USA, but daunting to some.

I think the key to success in buying is a good escribano- one who can and will excavate details like lawsuits, unpaid bills, tax issues, and facilitate the closing. That makes all the difference.

Back