C-Sections In Ba

jessicamarone

Registered
Hello! My name is Jessica Marone and I am an anthropology student at Northwestern University in the United States. I am currently on a research fellowship in BA studying the popularity of elective cesarean sections and the controversy surrounding them. I would love to get in contact women who have experienced giving birth in Argentina first hand, or ex-pats who have opinions on the issue of elective cesareans.

Feel free to send me an email at [email protected] if you're interested or if you would like more information about my study and qualifications. Tips on doctors, public health officials, NGO's, etc. involved in informing the public about elective cesareans are much appreciated too. Thank you!

No experience but I can say that I've heard people here talking a lot of crap about C-Sections. My bf's brother's wife was having her baby and we saw them a few days before she was due. He was telling me that they hoped they didn't have to have go that route. I asked why? (I was a C-section baby and my mom was very in favor of it) and he said that when the mother is drugged out she doesn't have the same connection with the baby that needs to happen or something like that... first I had heard!! another friend who's wife had a baby ended up having to go the C-section route even though they hadn't wanted it, he said that it was disappointing for both of them but they didn't have a choice as it was decided in the moment by the doctors that it was necessary. I was really surprised to hear people talking like this about C-sections!! Anyway I'm sure you already know they are stigmatized here or you wouldn't be doing the research! Anyway just wanted to share....

although i am also a C-section baby ( my mom had all 3 of us by c-section) i was very adamant about having my baby through natural childbirth (exempt with epidural relief haha!) the healing process is much quicker and less painful in the long run and its also nice to give birth as natural as possible.
the problem here is that not only is it elective (i think some moms decide c-section because it seems easier, or for aesthetic reasons, i even heard of a woman here that got a c-secion because it was way to hot this summer and her air condition broke!!!!
C-sections are also used here frequently for a quicker birth, more $$$ etc, and sometimes the doctors decide way to quickly that the woman needs a caesarian when she really doesn't!

Hello, Jessica!

I just sent you an email with my own personal C-section story in Buenos Aires. Feel free to email me back if you have any more questions, suerte! :)

Thank you everyone for your responses and enthusiasm! As one user suggested, please feel free to pass my message along to other moms, doctors, etc. Any and all thoughts on the subject are appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

Happy to answer any questions you might have. I had a c-section with my twins which was pretty much planned although it happened a lot earlier than we thought it would as they arrived 5 weeks early and was absolutely easy and the recovery was painless and quick. My FIL is also an OB who prefers vaginal deliveries if possible and he does VBACs here although that isn't the norm.

Back