Cafe Vinilo

jantango

Registered
I have never been to Cafe Vinilo in Palermo, but I recently discovered they relocated to an old house in San Cristobal, three blocks from where I live. I learned about the classical music series through the Musica Clasica Magazine agenda. I went to investigate the new venue, but I couldn't find it. Then I realized that the agenda listing has an incorrect address. I bought tickets for two classical music groups online -- $2000ARS plus $200 service charge is nothing. I signed up to be on the mailing list. This new venue is going to be on my calendar for concerts. Their schedule has a wide variety of live concerts.

Café Vinilo is back, in its new location in the San Cristóbal neighborhood, United States 2483 between Alberti and Matheu. With music concerts, clinics and workshops, you can find all our activities here.

Our new space has a room with capacity for 30 people and a gastronomy sector. During the concerts you can drink and eat. Room locations are on a first-come, first-served basis. You can buy your tickets online as well as register for the workshops. There is discounted parking for customers 20 meters away. If you have any questions, you can send us an email to [email protected]

I went to their old location multiple times, but for me, it as totally based on the act. Classical is not my thing, but I will be watching to see who plays there. 30 people seems tiny, though.

I went to a concert last night at Cafe Vinilo. People walking behind me on the street were headed to the same place. The woman at the desk has a printed list of reservations and asks for your name and welcomes you. I asked how long they have been in San Cristobal, and another woman said it's been a year. I'm sorry I didn't know about their move from Palermo last year. I signed up for their mailing list to receive updates.

The venue is an old house probably built in early 1900. It's charming and feels like a group of friends getting together for conversation, drinks, and good music. The various types of chairs are old but comfortable. Choose where you want to sit. Head towards the rear to find the kitchen, which had guiso lentejas to offer and a bar if you want some wine, coffee, etc. It was a friendly atmosphere in every room.

Half of the audience was already seated in the back rows, or on the upper level overlooking the living room. The photo on the website shows the space with a Yamaha baby grand piano. I was glad that the first row (an arm's length from a violinist) was available. I made myself comfortable in the seat front and center. Two couples arrived and sat on both sides of the front row. The owner Eduardo has mood music playing while everyone is conversing before the concert begins. He had his daughter in his arms. I had the feeling right away that I found another "home" where I will hear lots of musical performances.

I have attended hundreds of outstanding concerts in BA, and last night was another one. I could come up with a long list of superlatives that apply. I was inside the music. Brahms and Prokofiev were on the program in three works. There was nothing to distract me from concentrating on how they communicate with each other. It was great to watch it. The audience was there for the music and knew enough to wait until the end of the work to applaud, not after each movement as so many audiences do at Teatro Colon and CCK.

After the concert, I spoke with the clarinetist about his embouchure getting a workout. He detected my accent and immediately switched our conversation to English. As a former oboist, I could sympathize with him. He said he wouldn't be playing the instrument for days to give his lips a good rest. In another room I thanked the cellist who organizes the classical music series for Cafe Vilino.

A senior heard me speaking English with the clarinetist, so he decided to engage me in conversation after the concert as well. Music brings happy people together.

I already have my reservation for the October 15th concert by a trio -- piano, flute, and oboe. The oboist plays English horn with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Buenos Aires, so I will be there early to get a front row seat to watch Michele Wong from Hong Kong.

Back