Can A Non-Resident Leave Argentina With Us$ ?

PaulBee

Registered
Again, sorry if this has already been covered. Is there anyone at all who can leave Argentina
without having to get AFIP permission to take US$ out of Argentina ? Can tourists do so ?
Or long term non-residents ? Thanks for any info !

Under 10K you should be fine. If we're talking about heftier sums, however, I think the requirement to declare that money runs for every person departing from Argentina.

you need to declare if you carry OVER 10,000 usd. this goes for everyone. you are usually asked for the origin of funds and need to have documents to back it up. under that amount you are ok. if you a resident and file taxes and have not declared that you already "owned" dollars in the previous year, you would have to explain and show where you got them in 2013.

Keep in mind that only $10,000 USD or less may be taken out of Argentina; no further amounts may be take out in USD cash under any circumstances. Amounts above $10,000 USD must be declared AND taken out in AR Pesos.

Keep in mind that only $10,000 USD or less may be taken out of Argentina; no further amounts may be take out in USD cash under any circumstances. Amounts above $10,000 USD must be declared AND taken out in AR Pesos.

are you sure about this? i was told by lawyer that if USD's have been "grandfathered" and declared as USD's on your yearly tax statement that you can leave with it so long as its declared at customs. (travel with 20k, go to customs and tell them, then show your last years tax declaration where it shows you had 20k or more in USD's and the origin of those funds and then leave without a prob).

can you confirm that is no longer the case?

To go on a tangent, I had heard that when a foreigner sells his Argentine property, he can leave the county with the "official" (usually low by today´s values) value. I don´t know all the details, but assumed that the total amount he could take out would be in non-Argentine currency, but I´m not sure.

The title of this thread got me to thinking about something that hadn't occurred to me earlier.
The next time I come to Argentina I will probably bring a lot of dollars (but less than ten thousand dollars). I am not going to be declaring them.
I may still have a lot of those very same dollars with me when I go back to the States.
Now let's say that while I am in EZE getting ready to fly home, Christina's minions somehow discover a rather thick wad of hundred dollar bills in my pants... what's going to happen?
/insert horrified face icon here/

If you are concerned that the Argie Authority will sniff around your left over Dollar when exiting , then declare your amount of Dollars you are entering the country with.

Back