Can Milei Break the Historical Cycle of Argentina’s Economic Disaster?

yd_mtl

Registered
Here's an article that I recently wrote concerning a. whether Pres. Milei can turn around Argentina from its big economic predicament and b. the deep roots of that country's massive economic and political issues and how to solve those problems "retroactively" (that is, which point in Argentine history would have had to change in order for it to avoid its subsequent problems): https://medium.com/@YafehDov/can-mi...-of-argentinas-economic-disaster-609ac4553f74

It's an interesting article.. I hope others here read it and comment here. I don't know enough about Argentina's history to dispute the accuracy of the article's historical recount. And the "If the British had won, Argentina would have been ..." part is extremely speculative. If Argentina had been a British colony, and thus would have been involved in WW2, maybe South America would have been attacked and occupied by one of the Axis powers.

I'm personally glad that Argentina (and more generally, South America) isn't another British colony, even if it's not as rich as it may have been.

And the "If the British had won, Argentina would have been ..." part is extremely speculative. If Argentina had been a British colony, and thus would have been involved in WW2, maybe South America would have been attacked and occupied by one of the Axis powers.
Hmmm...North America was never attacked and occupied by any of the Axis powers, with the exception of Pearl Harbor and Midway Island in Hawaii (if that counts as part of North America) plus certain Aleutian islands closest to Asia and farthest from mainland North America - all at the hands of the Japanese. Australia was only attacked in Darwin in the far north (also at the hands of the Japanese), and it was never occupied. New Zealand was neither attacked nor occupied at all, and the same was true with Southern Africa. I could see the same thing going on with South America.

And a British Argentina alternate history is indeed extremely speculative, but what is presented in my article at the top of this thread is the most realistic that I could figure out, and one that has taken many years of painstaking work.

Back