Can you fly into Buenos Aires from the UK without a return flight?

Question? Can one fly on a one way ticket to the US or EU? Don't think so for a non citizen.

My assumption is that people buy one way flights because they are going to stay in that given place for a time period … either a long period, or without knowing when they will return. Maybe they are moving somewhere or staying with an ailing parent. The point is that the person, when they need to return to where they are originally from, or plan to go elsewhere, at that moment they get an additional ticket. I can’t speak to why people do things nor can I speak to why the airlines have the rules they have; simply trying to help you with info based on my airline experience.
Best
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound angry at you, I'm just angry at the situation.

Don't go to the airport without a return ticket. Buy a refundable return ticket.....easy.......Next most complicated thing was building the A-bomb.
I've had a look online and they don't seem to refund a ticket just because you've decided you want to stay in the country for longer - it has to be an unforeseen circumstance.

Legitimate reasons for buying a one-way ticket are that you are staying in the country and then they ask you for your permanent residence.
Just buy the cheapest onward flight to anywhere outside of Argentina that you can find, probably to Montevideo.

Also I contacted British Airways (it was talking to support staff through an online chat - I couldn't find a number to call) and they said it should be fine, but I should check with the UK embassy in Argentina... after contacting the embassy, they tell you (through a machine) that you should check the entry requirements online and that their consultants won't be able to say anything more....and then if you look at the entry requirements on the UK governments site it doesn't mention anything about return or onward tickets

It doesn't make any sense. Why do airlines sell you one-way tickets if they don't let you use them!
It is not worth the airlines time or money to keep up with every countries rules. For countries that have strictly defines rules they probably do enforce at time of buying a ticket. Argentina does not have published rules that the Airline can follow. Argentina has immigration officers who use their judgment to allow or deny a visitor without a return flight. If the visitor appears to have enough money and credit card to travel on a whim, without plans, then the officer will probably let them enter the country. Very occasionally the officer denies entry for any reason their judgment has decided. When a person is returned at entry it must cause all sorts of complications for the airline and/or staff at that moment.…So the airline checkin agent knows these cases happen, and do happen more often in other countries. They must use their judgment or vague unpublished knowledge of the destination.

We are telling you our experience. Many of us have traveled to argentina as tourists without return tickets. Occasionally the checkin agen has almost declined our boarding or told us we must buy an expensive return flight. You can talk your way through the situation, or you can do what everyone here has explained.

If the desk agent checks
The desk agent will look at something like this.
IATA
It will tell them that if you don't have a return ticket you may be refused entry.
If you are refused entry that it's on the Airline to fly you back on their cost.
So they won't let you board.

As I have said in my experience they don't always check but from a look at the forum most people are saying they do these days.

So it's not worth the risk.

okay....do this Mr. Potts....

Buy a one way ticket to B.A.....print it.
Buy a one way ticket from B.A. to ???China??? REFUNDABLE! Buy this second ticket on UNITED AIRLINES!!!!!!!!!! PRINT IT!!!!
Go to B.A.....do not pass go.
In B.A....eat empanandas. Then go to the United website and cancel the flight leaving the country. Normally takes 15 seconds (we know you will need longer) The refund will hit your credit card in 1-4 days.
In B.A., never talk about your departure plans with anyone (actually, no one cares about you now...nothing personal). If you have a girlfriend there, lie to her. When you are ready to leave, just buy a ticket out. If an overstay....go to migration 5 days before you leave and pay the small fine.
Then find something else to wonder about.....but yes the earth IS round.

okay....do this Mr. Potts....

Buy a one way ticket to B.A.....print it.
Buy a one way ticket from B.A. to ???China??? REFUNDABLE! Buy this second ticket on UNITED AIRLINES!!!!!!!!!! PRINT IT!!!!
Go to B.A.....do not pass go.
In B.A....eat empanandas. Then go to the United website and cancel the flight leaving the country. Normally takes 15 seconds (we know you will need longer) The refund will hit your credit card in 1-4 days.
In B.A., never talk about your departure plans with anyone (actually, no one cares about you now...nothing personal). If you have a girlfriend there, lie to her. When you are ready to leave, just buy a ticket out. If an overstay....go to migration 5 days before you leave and pay the small fine.
Then find something else to wonder about.....but yes the earth IS round.
Thanks. So do United Airlines let you cancel your ticket without giving a reason?

Thanks. So do United Airlines let you cancel your ticket without giving a reason?
United lets you cancel within 24hrs of purchase. My interpretation of recent suggestion by @ccool is to a buy a 2nd one-way ticket some hours before your departure. Buy to anywhere from Argentina, departing e.g. one month from your BA arrival. When in BA, 24hrs before the refund policy expires, you cancel. I googled this. You might use google to find other airlines that have similar or better refund policies https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/trip-planning/flexible-booking-options.html

also if you carefully read other earlier sugestions, there was one comment about paying a $15 service that handles the cancelation, or something like that

Last edited:
Back