Can you hold a driver's license from US, if you live abroad?

Stantucker

Registered
I am in the process of renewing my Georgia driver's license and they ask twice if you are a resident of the state. I am not; I live year around in Argentina, and only visit once or twice a year. We do file taxes in the state and use my mother's address as our US address, so yes, we can renew our licenses, but is it legal?

And if it's not legal, what implications could that have with the state, and for renting a car or using a family member's car. If I had an accident, would insurance cover it?

My NY State license worked until it expired. When that happened I could not renew without legal residency. Since I no longer had that, I lost the license. I got an Argentine license without any issues and have been using it to drive (and rent cars) in the US, UK and Europe ever since. I've never had a problem. But I always have my US State ID at the ready. I also travel with an ACA (Automobile Club of Argentina) international permit. Some US states require it. But not once in 20 years have I ever had to show it. Good luck.

[Edit]. You may have a way to massage your US residency status. I did not. But if so, you might be able to hold onto that US license.

I am in the process of renewing my Georgia driver's license and they ask twice if you are a resident of the state. I am not; I live year around in Argentina, and only visit once or twice a year. We do file taxes in the state and use my mother's address as our US address, so yes, we can renew our licenses, but is it legal?

And if it's not legal, what implications could that have with the state, and for renting a car or using a family member's car. If I had an accident, would insurance cover it?
If you are paying Georgia state income taxes and have a mailing address you are a resident of Georgia and entitled to a drivers license, end of story. The fact that you are overseas for some amount of time doesn't matter.

Georgia? One gets the impression that state resources there have in the past few years been laser-focused on catching supposed “ illegal" voters and not scofflaw driver’s licenses. You’re doubtlessly safe. BTW Georgia law allows you to renew a license by mail if you live outside the country, but you should do it before it expires.

In Oregon you can legally be either a resident or have your domicile there to qualify for a drivers license...you do not need to be a resident. Domicile is where you consider your home and where you would return when you come back to the USA. So, I use my sister's address which IS exactly where I go when I return to Oregon.
Maybe your State allows a domicile.

Back