Canadians Traveling To Chile And Ba: Is Cash Safe?

marietacanada

Registered
I realize US cash nets the best exchange in Argentina. But we will be spending two weeks
in Chile (Santiago, Easter Island, Valparaiso, etc) and then fly to Buenos Aires for 3 weeks.
I'm reluctant to spend that much time carrying a lot of cash. Any advice? I know Xoom is less than blue dollar but isn't it still more than the official rate. Can we get US dollars in Chile?

I realize US cash nets the best exchange in Argentina. But we will be spending two weeks
in Chile (Santiago, Easter Island, Valparaiso, etc) and then fly to Buenos Aires for 3 weeks.
I'm reluctant to spend that much time carrying a lot of cash. Any advice? I know Xoom is less than blue dollar but isn't it still more than the official rate. Can we get US dollars in Chile?

You can get US dollars in Chile, but first you have to get Chilean pesos (at an ATM, use BancoEstado which does not charge for using its ATMs, other banks collect US$5-6 per transaction). Then go to a casa de cambio to buy the dollars. You can't get dollars directly from a Chilean ATM.

I might add that I consider Chile a very safe country, but that doesn't mean you should be careless. I am carrying significant amounts of US dollars, Chilean pesos and Argentine pesos at the moment, but then I'm in Villa O'Higgins, one of the remotest parts of Patagonia.

To carry two weeks of cash, consider getting a money belt (useful for almost all travelling). Here's the one I use: http://www.rei.com/product/856530/eagle-creek-rfid-blocker-deluxe-money-belt

Back