Carnival in Rio

Tina_G

Registered
Hi All -

I'm heading to BA in Feb 2011 from Los Angeles and would love to hit up Rio for Carnival...why not, right? I’ve been doing some research from my end, and hostels and other accommodations seem to be booking up quickly. I would book now, but I’m a bit hesitant as I'm not sure if there is a better way to maneuver my way to Carnival while I'm there.

This is my first tour of South America, so I would love advice on how I should approach this. Should I do all of my planning now, or should I wait until I touch down in BA? Also, is Carnival in Rio truly a MUST see, or should I skip and spend my cash elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Tina

Tina_G said:
Hi All -

I'm heading to BA in Feb 2011 from Los Angeles and would love to hit up Rio for Carnival...why not, right? I’ve been doing some research from my end, and hostels and other accommodations seem to be booking up quickly. I would book now, but I’m a bit hesitant as I'm not sure if there is a better way to maneuver my way to Carnival while I'm there.

This is my first tour of South America, so I would love advice on how I should approach this. Should I do all of my planning now, or should I wait until I touch down in BA? Also, is Carnival in Rio truly a MUST see, or should I skip and spend my cash elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Tina

Hi Tina,

Nearly everyone agrees that the most "authentic" Carnival is in Salvador, Bahia, not in Rio. However, that being said IMO I don't think Carnival is a must see (especially not Rio's) and to be honest for the money and the horrible exchange rate between the dollar right now, I don't think it's worth it.

In any event, if you're still bent on going do your booking NOW. In a month I can assure everything that is worth booking will be completely filled.

Brazil is a must see. Carnival is not.

Hope that helps.

If you want to go to Carnival, DO NOT wait to make reservations for accommodation. Everything and I mean everything sells out and books up well in advance. Also, expect to pay many times more per night for accommodations and more even for food and drink during that time than any other time of the year. It's well known that the tourists will pay through the nose to experience this special event.

That said, what LAtoBA said about the more "authentic" carnivals in Bahia and Salvador is true, but still lots and lots of people have a blast in Rio for it. Just... don't wait to book once you make up your mind where to spend it. You will also need a special visa from the consulate in advance to enter Brazil.

Have fun!

Back