CD Recommendations?

I saw Me Daras Mil Hijos last week at Niceto Club. They were pretty great. But I also really liked the opening band. It was a singer/acoustic guitar player, acoustic guitar player, and then like 5 or 6 more guys singing vocal harmony. Anyone else see that show? How awesome was that? Did anyone happen to catch their name (or know of this band--can't be too many bands with this kind of line-up)? I would love to get a CD of theirs.

my friend nacho will thank me for the free plug but i am really totally into this band aside from my association with one of the band members.

they are called 'agrupacion bien debute' and incorporate chacareras, zambas, tango, milonga, candombe and even cumbias into their sets.

i can't wait to see them live, they are about to go out to the coast and do a little tour but on their return i'll make sure to post dates up. well worth a listen.

they have a myspace.
www.myspace.com/agrupacionbiendebute

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=291036683

I strongly recommend this group is called Rio Plateado, his leader is called Fernando Aguirre and the definition of his music is fussion. I guess a mix of argentine folk. Very nice.

cheers!

jpm2004 said:
Hello, I'm a musician and music scholar from the U.S. but living in Buenos Aires now. I'm trying to get to know a bit more about Argentine music, so I'm wondering if anyone here has specific CD recommendations of musicians worth checking out. Any style is fine (rock, tango, jazz, cumbia, classical, etc.). I'm familiar with the big stars, though I'd be happy to hear if there's a specific Mercedes Sosa or Pugliese CD that is particularly great and worth tracking Mostly I'd just like to hear what CDs of Argentine music you've really enjoyed.

I can start with a few of my own thoughts on two of the CDs I've bought thus far. "La Luz Del Ritmo" by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs is terribly overrated. Really, only a handful tracks are even passable, and nothing on this record is great. But I guess it may be worth listening to if only because it's pretty popular down here now.

"Aire" by Me Dara's Mil Hijos is a pretty interesting mix of a variety of different styles. If you don't like one of the songs, that's OK, because there are 14 others on the CD that don't sound anything like it, except for a general presence of horns and accordion.

Anyway, if any of you have CD recommendations, I would love to hear them!

Just out of curiosity are there any Argentinian bands that are similar, like or influenced by bands such as diverse as LCD Soundsystem, The Fall, A Certain Ratio, The Rapture? I write for an online music magazine in Dublin, Ireland and want to write about the more alternative music scene in BA when I am over for the month in June!

ojos del tango are super hot - the gorgeous pianist from Color Tango has a new group that plays Pugliese with a passion that will knock you out!

Back