Central steam heating cycles

djlinse37

Registered
If you live in a building with central steam heating, what kind of cycle is your heat on? In our building, they seem to turn on the heat in the evenings from about 7pm to 10pm, and then in the mornings from maybe 6am to about 10am (the radiator is still warm just now at 10:05am). I believe that my wife was told they only turn it on if the temperature outside is less than 13C(?).

Any other experience, either this year or previous years?

I lived in a central "losa radiante" building and it was terrible.
It was under manual control of the "portero", who waited until everyone was freezing their a**es off, to start the furnace. Then by the time the building warmed up about 2 to 3 days later, the cold spell was over and we were all sweating with the windows wide open.
I convinced them of installing a thermostat and that improved everything, but then they started fiddling with it using it as an ON-OFF switch.!!
The only answer is to get an experienced "calefaccion central" business to install proper thermostats both indoors and outside, to anticipate a cold wind coming in overnight.

and you might consider install a split or ac/heat unit that runs on electricity in some part of your apt that you want heated. it can supplement or replace your central system.

diego7david said:
and you might consider install a split or ac/heat unit that runs on electricity in some part of your apt that you want heated. it can supplement or replace your central system.

Oh, we already one in the living room, although we may need more supplemental heat in our daughter's room (the room with external walls and leakiest windows/doors).

I was just inquiring about the central heating experiences of others to find out what is "normal". Our portero seems to have control over ours as well. Since it is paid out of the building expenses, I'm sure he's under pressure from the administration to keep it off as long as possible.

Back