Changing Us $ To Pesos

TomAtAlki

Registered
Nancy and I have been gone for the last month. Now that we are back I need to change some US dollars to Pesos. I realize there are several different possibilities....Banks, Changing houses, official and not official and blue market (private person). Of course I want the best rate possible so would appreciate your advice and experience stories now that we have had the new administration for a while.

Thanks, T/

We tried to exchange 500 USD to pesos at Banco La Nación but we hit a wall because we are unbanked here (though we are residents and not tourists). We were redirected to an official Casa de Cambio where we exchanged for 15.50 (official rate was 15.95 that day). They made a copy of my DNI and made me sign stuff, very different compared to the rest of the world where I was exchanged money with no proof of ID.

Overall satisfied with it.

I dont believe much has really changed at the retail level. If you were a big corporation, maybe.
I think the cueva on Anasgasti, right across from the main entrance to the Alto Palermo mall, is your best bet, closest to where you live.
Anasgasti is only one block long, its about half way down on the scalabrini side of the street, you ring the bell and the lady who is always about to fall out of her blouse lets you in.
I have been using that one for over five years, its totally safe and honest.
No sign, of course.

I may have to go there....just to check out the LWIAATFOOHB :=)

Really though, I'm just trying to get a handle on whats going on and what is the best way to change money at this time. So far, it appears that everything I have found looks to be within about 1/2 point apart.

T/

Go to your favorite cueva. The difference between the official rate (credit cards and debit card withdrawals) and the blue rate is about 8% but variable.

Best,

GS

Go to your favorite cueva. The difference between the official rate (credit cards and debit card withdrawals) and the blue rate is about 8% but variable.

Best,

GS

How does this work? the rate yesterday for Citi ATM was $15,4 do I get 8% more somewhere??? for cash $16,62 ???

WOW Or do you mean 8% LESS

Well ... typically the blue is higher. ;)

The last I checked the spread was larger.

I may have to go there....just to check out the LWIAATFOOHB :=)

Really though, I'm just trying to get a handle on whats going on and what is the best way to change money at this time. So far, it appears that everything I have found looks to be within about 1/2 point apart.

T/

Can you send a photo?

I use a casa de cambio on cabellos and ugarteche. allways happy with the exchange rate. across the street from fabianos

Back