cheap flights for residants?

jp

Registered
hola
I have temporary residency here and pay taxes, but don't yet have a DNI.
Does anyone know if I qualify for cheap flights? I leave and enter the country as an argentine...
Cheers
j

resident resident resident.
Stupid brain won't spell properly today. Too many languages on the go...

I even had my permanent resdidency but was still waiting for my DNI and neither Aerolineas nor LAN accepted the papers I presented. Without DNI I think it will be close to impossible to get the cheap tickets.

Reactions: jp
Thanks gerrit. Suspected that may be the case.

ho hum. The slow grind of bureaucracy awaits...

Just out of curiosity, how different are the prices for the same flight i.e Bs As to Mendoza/Bariloche for residents and non-residents.

As a rule of thumb, the Argentina Federal Government allows all the greedy Argentine Airlines to charge Americans double the cost of a domestic flight ticket charged to Argentina's citizens, especially greedy LAN Airlines. I sent an e-mail letter to my New York State Representatives, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer, former Senator Hillary Rodman Clinton and NYC Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney about it. I asked all three Members in Congress to take whatever action is needed in Congress to impress upon the Argentina Federal Government to stop this inequity and unfairness. USA American Airline Carriers do not charge foreigners a penny above the cost it charges Americans for a domestic flight ticket. Michael Z, Manhattan

You need a DNI. The price difference between BA-BRC was US$200 versus US$448 last month. The regular fare has come down quite a bit however, around US$381 last I checked.

That's a frightening difference in price. To think of it it is also quite silly. To think that tourists have and are willing to pay the higher price is bad judgment. It reduces incentives to travel by plane and reduces competition. I suppose since AA is now on the road to public ownership the government has every wish to keep this tourist cash cow going. However since tourist numbers are dropping markedly it will be interesting to see what is going on.

I am more shocked that LAN is on the act as well. Since they took over Southern Winds they have been quite greedy in this respect. They could have seriously created decent competition between itself and AA but are happy to take part in this state sanctioned aviation cartel.

Although South America and Argentina don't have the economies of scale as in Europe, US etc they seriously need a Michael O Leary to kick some gaucho butt.

Conorworld said:
That's a frightening difference in price. To think of it it is also quite silly. To think that tourists have and are willing to pay the higher price is bad judgment. It reduces incentives to travel by plane and reduces competition. I suppose since AA is now on the road to public ownership the government has every wish to keep this tourist cash cow going. However since tourist numbers are dropping markedly it will be interesting to see what is going on.

I am more shocked that LAN is on the act as well. Since they took over Southern Winds they have been quite greedy in this respect. They could have seriously created decent competition between itself and AA but are happy to take part in this state sanctioned aviation cartel.

BAU (business as usual).

Conorworld said:
Although South America and Argentina don't have the economies of scale as in Europe, US etc they seriously need a Michael O Leary to kick some gaucho butt.

Not likely, is it?

Welcome (back) to Argentina!

I don't think it will but it could work but you get the feeling that whoever comes out with a rival carrier will be smothered by the combined cartel efforts of LAN and AA. They might drop prices and increase capacity to wash it out. It's a pity.

Back