Chest x-ray required when starting employment

MattyR

Registered
I was told that everytime you change employer in Argentina you need to go through a medical test. Is it a standard here that they require an x-ray of a chest? Does anyone have experience of going through any alternative test rather than x-ray?

Thank you.

MattyR said:
I was told that everytime you change employer in Argentina you need to go through a medical test. Is it a standard here that they require an x-ray of a chest? Does anyone have experience of going through any alternative test rather than x-ray?

Thank you.

it is standard but if you can't get it done for some reason you just tell the doctor and it'll be fine

Its actually called THORAX x-ray. The company seems to make a big fuss about it, 2 weeks since the other medical tests been done like blood test, EKG but the company seems to be pushing for the x-ray. I find it really weird.

It´s required by law. It´s not the company´s choice.
When you start a job you get an accident insurance (ART "aseguradora de riesgos de trabajo" ), also required by law. If you don´t get the full medical exam, in case of an accident or whatever the ART can make the company pay for the medical expenses.

The THORAX radiografía is used to diagnose any of the following conditions, condition of lungs, (TB, Scar Tissue) size of heart, spots on lung surface (possible cancerous condition), etc. It's a required part of a pre-employment medical test and of course both men and women have this radiografía performed.

Thank you for your helpful explanation. Are you saying that there's no alternative possible like magnetic resonance? Would ART be happy with this kind of examination rather than x-ray?

MattyR said:
Thank you for your helpful explanation. Are you saying that there's no alternative possible like magnetic resonance? Would ART be happy with this kind of examination rather than x-ray?

You can always inquire, however a radiografía costs about $150 pesos and a resonancia magnetica about $600 pesos. I doubt your potential employer is going to be willing to shell that out when everybody knows that this is required. Also just a word of caution, and you may not like this. Having hired people before, the ones that make demands like this upfront usually are looked at as problematic from the beginning and they may just terminate your employment within the trial period.

Is there some special reason you don't want to have a chest xray? It's a quick process and minimal exposure.

If it's something you feel that strongly about, I would suggest you tell your employer and offer to pay the difference in cost btwn Xray and MRI out of your pocket. As an employer, I wouldn't have an issue with that.

I think I will go for the xray as you guys are right it's a minimal exposure and it will make my life a lot easier as I was told that they don't accept any alternative tests as MRI even though I would pay for it myself.

One more question though: Will the medical staff be able to check for a possible pregnancy before an exposure to an x-ray? I know they won't unless I ask but if I ask will they help?

Back