chi flat iron

rforte

Registered
Has anyone been able to use a chi flat iron from US in ba? I used it with my converter and the fuse went out on the converter since I used it on the low setting. :( I was going to try using again on the higher setting but then the chi wouldnt turn on and I just read on the CHi 's website that you should not charge these in foreign countries even with converters. Has anyone had this problem before?

i had tried using the high setting before the fuse blew out

You need a high-wattage converter for those kinds of appliances. If you use one of those 50w converters you can buy anywhere, it will burn them up quick.

You need to take your hair device with you to a real hardware store- a place that sells transformers.

Transformadores.

A "converter" is actually a transformer.
And they come in a variety of sizes.
You need to get one that is big enough for the job.

The iron will draw a certain amount of watts of power- and the transformer will be rated in watts. You need to buy one that has MORE watts than you need.

And, depending on the electrical device, they can get pricey, and big. They are big blocks of steel and copper wire, usually black, that you plug into the wall, and you can then plug in 110 volt US electrical devices to.

If you take the chi with you, you should be able to get the guy at the ferreteria to size your transformer accordingly.

Hello there,

I too have a chi flat iron and when I arrived here a year ago I had quite the time trying to find a transformer for it. The shop owners and my boyfriend kept telling me to just buy a new iron, but I couldn't give up my chi. haha

Anyway what works for me is a a 200 watt tranformer, weighs about 2 kilos (seriously). Mi novio says the best place to go is called the CASA del TRANSFORMADOR, I believe it's on PARANA. :)

okay, thanks, i will go out and check at a store tomorrow.

the converter i had purchased says it can convert 220/240V to 110/120V on its highest setting. The iron is 110 V. The thing is, that when I put it on that high setting the iron wouldn't turn on. SO, i feel maybe the problem has something to do with the iron.. :? but.. I will go to the store anyway and see what they say

Kathleen said:
Hello there,

I too have a chi flat iron and when I arrived here a year ago I had quite the time trying to find a transformer for it. The shop owners and my boyfriend kept telling me to just buy a new iron, but I couldn't give up my chi. haha

Anyway what works for me is a a 200 watt tranformer, weighs about 2 kilos (seriously). Mi novio says the best place to go is called the CASA del TRANSFORMADOR, I believe it's on PARANA. :)

ooooooo thanks so much! yea..i'm quite attached to it- i've had it for about 5 years and it still works great. nothing compares! (that i know of):p

Kathleen said:
Hello there,

My host mom just gave me a transformador (that weighs super heavy).. sounds like the box that had been described above. it says on the back:
220-110 voltios
150- WATT

do you think this would be safe to use?

for mine,
i dont need anything. i just plug it into the wall.
the chi take 220v

rforte said:
okay, thanks, i will go out and check at a store tomorrow.

the converter i had purchased says it can convert 220/240V to 110/120V on its highest setting. The iron is 110 V. The thing is, that when I put it on that high setting the iron wouldn't turn on. SO, i feel maybe the problem has something to do with the iron.. :? but.. I will go to the store anyway and see what they say
The 220 to 110 is volts but it's how many watts does it draw that will determine your transformer size.

Back