Children with disabilities

AmyL

Registered
Joined
Oct 2, 2026
Messages
2
Likes
0
Hi! We currently live in NJ and have very good resources and support services for our daughter with Down syndrome and Autism. My husband is from Argentina and we often think about moving there. Does anyone here have experience or know an expat who has navigated life in Argentina with a special needs child? My impression is that NJ likely has more resources (people move here for them). However, Argentina has some good supports set up and affordability could be better for us meaning we could have private insurance and pay for therapies if needed. Although there may be long wait times. Wondering also if there is stigma against people with disabilities. We have not run into that here thankfully. We want to be sure we live somewhere where Doctors will treat our daughter with as much care and concern that they would anyone else. Thanks for reading!
 
I don't think you would find any stigma here...and perhap more tolerant here than in the U.S. " we could have private insurance and pay for therapies if needed". That could be a fantasy.....there is no charlie pat answer' to that one. Insurance and coverage would be a shot in the dark if you come here.
 
Hi! Thanks for your response. Do you have any knowledge of what medical coverage is like there for people with disabilities?
 
Hello, Amy!
I have years of navigating the private insurance system (namely with OSDE) with my Argentine husband, as I have two sons who both have autism and require therapies, special schooling, teaching aides, and so on.
In regards to your concern about stigmas against those with disabilities: Like any mom, I was very apprehensive when they attended "regular" school (due to my own personal nightmarish experiences with bullying), but I have honestly been favorably surprised; there is a lot of emphasis on inclusion and speaking at least for the schools in which I have worked in the northern suburbs, a very present anti-bullying stance (though there may still be incidents).
Please feel free to send me a DM if you'd like to connect outside of the forum. I believe that knowledge is power and that there is strength in numbers. Take care!
 
Back
Top