Chipotles en adobo? Cassia cinnamon?

You can find Cassia powder at the Asia Oriental Market in barrio Chino on Mendoza avenue, between Arribenos & Montanenses. It is on the top shelf of the spices aisle toward the fish counter. It is sold in plastic shaker bottles that look kinda like the McCormick brand found in the states. This is the real deal if you are looking for the authentic cinnamon taste you are used to back in the states. As for the Chipotles, I have always found them at the Jumbo in Alto Palermo Shopping.

Utopos said:
This morning Jumbo on Bullrich had La Costeña chipotles in adobo. They are in the salsa/mayo isle, not the import section, and cost $25.49 per 220gr can.

That's more than double what I paid two years ago. I still have four cans and the expiration date is March 25, 2013.

It would be interesting to know the expiration date on any cans that are on the shelf in Jumbo now.

Last year Walmart in Bahia Blanca sold off all the Rosarita cans of refried beans for about 9 pesos per can. They were months past the expiration date and there haven't been any since.

Two years ago a 227g jar of Casa Fiesta jalapeno silces was $9.99 at Jumbo and they were just about to "expire" as well.

I didn't stock up because I thought the prices would rise or there would be a ban on imports. I was moving to the south of Provincia Bs. As. and I didn't think I would find them here...and I haven't...not even at Walmart.

Steve, the date stamped on the cans I bought is 05-01-16. That seems to indicate they were produced quite recently.

BubbasSmokinBarbecue, I've never been to that Jumbo. I'll have to find it. But I will go to Barrio Chino later today for the cassia cinnamon. Thanks!

I've been meaning to get back to El Gato Negro. I stopped once but it was closed. It is always mentioned when the subject of spices comes up. Bodega Amparo also has a great selection of spices and such. Their Harina Paraguaya looks to be a good substitute for masa harina, by the way, but I haven't used it in anything yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Food and Drink 4