Citizenship and migration DNU declared unconstitutional June 30th 2026

I too fit this same situation, arrived in 2023. I plan on applying early next year. Have you inquired at migraciones to see what they advise?
No not yet, I was thinking of emailing the court in Quilmes but until now it was really confusing to know where to contact. ChatGPT at least pointed me in the right direction of the court in Quilmes so I will reach out to them to ask what they think.
 
No not yet, I was thinking of emailing the court in Quilmes but until now it was really confusing to know where to contact. ChatGPT at least pointed me in the right direction of the court in Quilmes so I will reach out to them to ask what they think.
The matter seems pretty straightforward here:

 

We all knew it would happen right. 2 years without leaving Argentina to be eligible?!?
Frankly, trapping foreigners for 2 years is unconstitutional, it conflicts with Article 20 of the National Constitution which allows the freedom of movement. Therefore, if you go to the Courts, you may win it, and you will open the gates to file for Citizenship under the old regulations, which didn't establish that crazy limit, just 2 years of legal residency, but without restrictions. Nevertheless, the new Administrative Citizenship system continues to co-exist with the old Judicial path, however, more than 50,000 applications have accumulated since last year, and only few cases have been approved so far, (after going to Courts and forcing Migraciones to grant the Citizenship). The whole purpose of this Decree was to streamline the Citizenship granting, Migraciones was in a much better shape to grant it considering that you applied for Temporary or Permanent residency with them before and they had all your immigration history. They intented to take the burden from the Courts, however by not granting any Citizenships through the new method, they ended up duplicating the Court's Workload. Now they need to solve: 1) AMPAROS POR MORA (Petitions to Rule due to Migraciones' Inactivity), 2) PLANTEOS DE INCONSTITUCIONALIDAD (To declare the new Decree Unconstitutional), and 3) CARTA DE CIUDADANIA (Usual Citizenship Petitions through the Court). They should've never issued this horrible Decree.
 
I don't think you would want to mention to Migraciones that you are trying to short-circuit their multi-year path to citizenship. Speak to an immigration lawyer instead. As already stated, you cannot do the judicial route to citizenship without a lawyer.
I agree! Especially with the changes that happened in 2025... so much contradictory info online. As someone who tried to do the residency tramite by himself and failed... let me concur: get a lawyer. One firm puts out a lot of useful cotent on Instagram, MH Legal Hub. That's my two cents.
 
Back
Top