Citizenship

Enemigo

Registered
Hi there! So bit off a strange question, but can’t seem to get it answered definitively online…

I was a temporary resident of BA for 3 years from 2010-2014… DNI renewal every year etc. I then returned back to Europe.

I am considering moving back to BA. Since then the rules around citizenship have changed to 2 years- is it possible to apply for Citizenship now or do I have to start the whole process again?

Pretty sure I know the answer but with Argentina you never know tbh…

Hi there! So bit off a strange question, but can’t seem to get it answered definitively online…

I was a temporary resident of BA for 3 years from 2010-2014… DNI renewal every year etc. I then returned back to Europe.

I am considering moving back to BA. Since then the rules around citizenship have changed to 2 years- is it possible to apply for Citizenship now or do I have to start the whole process again?

Pretty sure I know the answer but with Argentina you never know tbh…
You can apply as soon as you arrive. Legal residency is not a requirement.

I get the impression that you want to know if the years you were a temporary resident of Argentina from 2010--2014 would be counted toward the two year residency reqirement.for citizenship (if you apply if and when you return) or if you have to start over from the day you re-enter (with or without "legal" resdiency) to meet the two year "residency" requirement.

Last edited:
I get the impression that you want to know if the years you were a temporary resident of Argentina from 2010--2014 would be counted toward the two year residency reqirement.for citizenship (if you apply if and when you return) or if you have to start over from the day you re-enter (with or without "legal" resdiency).

Yes exactly!

Yes exactly!
Now that's clear I am sure you will have the answer soon.

I will also be helpful to know if the same DNI you had when you were a temporary resident can be used if you apply for citizenship without "legal" residency and, if not, if you can apply for citizenship on your own or if you would need to have a lawyer represent you.

Thanks Steve for helping me clear that up- much appreciated! Anyone who knows the answer please let me know!

Now that's clear I am sure you will have the answer soon.

I will also be helpful to know if the same DNI you had when you were a temporary resident can be used if you apply for citizenship without "legal" residency and, if not, if you can apply for citizenship on your own or if you would need to have a lawyer represent you.
The expiration date of the DNI is 15 years. So, yes, he can use it.
And yes, the previous domicile counts if your lawyer knows how to explain it.

Last edited:
Back