Ciudad del este

Xeneizes

Registered
Hey. I am a US citizen. Gonna be in Iguazu next week. We've decided not to get the brazilian visa because we don't enough time before our trip and its closed on weekends, when we'll be there.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to get into Ciudad del este, paraguay without too much trouble? I understand there's a $45 dollar visa fee, but do i have to request the visa before coming?

Or if there is anywhere else near enough to Iguazu in paraguay worth visiting?

We will be there friday evening through monday morning the 17th-20th.

thank you!

A few years back, we visited Cuidad del Este and lasted 30 minutes (pretty much all inside the car) before we decided to turn around and head back. I would not recommend anyone to go there.

There's not much to see in Cuidad del Este, unless you're into visiting unsafe smuggling areas. Lots of people out in the streets, lots of guards with machine guns everywhere, kinda dirty all over. One of the things people go there for is purchasing electronics at cheaper prices than Brasil or Argentina, but a I don't think it's worth the risk to carry any significant amount of money there. The place feels very unsafe.

Not knowing, we crossed the border without visas, and ended up bribing the customs officer to let us in (he asked for it, rather than have us go back). He gave us a "guest visitor" stamp on our passports and let us through. It was very foolish thing to do, somewhat scary, and something I don't recommend anyone trying. I don't know where you apply or get the visa beforehand.

Its pretty easy to get a 10 year visa or a short term visa for paraguay, just go to one of their consulates and ask. I know there's one in Posadas, a friend of mine just got it a few weeks ago and it only took a few minutes. I'm pretty sure they have a consulate in Puerto Iguazu too, just ask your hotel concierge to look up the address.

With all of that said, I think a more interesting side trip would be to drive to Wanda, which is about 50 km south of Puerto Iguazu on route 12. There's a fascinating semprecious stone mine with public tours and a beautiful store full of amazing stuff that costs 10-20% of what the same things cost in the USA. We went 2 years ago, and again a month ago, the guide explained (in Spanish, not sure how good his English is) in detail how the yerba mate farmers accidentally stumbled on the stones and turned it into a major mining operation as well as how the geodes form and how they dig them up, cut them, and create art and jewelry. If you go, be sure to drive all the way to Wanda, skip the first few signs for mine tours that you pass, those mines aren't being actively worked and the tours are lame, go all the way to Wanda, and follow the signs to La Mina de Wanda. http://www.misionesvive.com.ar/sitios_turisticos_mina_de_piedras_preciosas.html and http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda. The mine is to your right as you enter Wanda, although Google suggests its to your left: http://maps.google.com/. Again, follow the signs to "La Mina" or "La Minera" or just ask the locals, they're used to tourists.

Please do sort out the Brazilian visa because IMO the best Falls are in the Argentine side what means that to really appreciate them you have to see them from the Brazilian side. The border is quite porous there so something can always be arranged.
Ciudad del Este is an ugly and risky place, not worth visiting. It was popular in the 1980s when the Argentine and Brazilian economy where so close that you could not find any imported good. I second Wanda is nice and so they are the Jesuits ruins (Ruinas de San Ignacio). Also, if you are in the Brazil side, some people enjoy visiting Itaupu Dam.

Back