Closed stores

Neil

Registered
I was shocked to see the Disco grocery store ,corner Paraguay y Malabia closed,for good! Practically emptied out...sign of the times I guess...

Neil,

They are dropping like flies!

Foot traffic in all kinds of stores is off, employers are "forcibly married" to employees (Heavy penalty to make staff reductions.) price controls on the beast basket. Only the large chains can navigate this kind of environment. And even then, they may not care to. WMT (WalMart) cut their presence and exited Argentina. If the world's largest retailer leaves, that is saying something. Falabella (A spit in the snow compared to WMT!) couldn't make it either. What they had to sell, most people could not afford. Get a good seat and some popcorn, the show is just getting started. Argentina, it's economy and it's people are going to have a generation (about 20+ years ) of tough sledding ahead. On the other hand, all these problems can be exploited by foreigners. The place will be a haven for living well, on very little. Not fair, but life isn't fair.

On the other hand Argentina spends millions trying to attract new foreign investments...! Expensive TradeMissions to various countries in first class , 5 star lodging, with generous viaticos..! Maybe.. it would be cheaper to incentívate foreign companies already established here to Expand , hire, and invest..?.. The Numero 1 investor in Argentina is the USA followed by Spain..! If foreign businesses already operating here don`t invest . Always can find new suckers? Developing a new project takes a few years to start operations.

I think the Carrefour Hipermercado on Juan B; Justo opposite Velez Sarsfield stadium will close soon. When I was in university I worked in a supermarket and as the business started to fail we had to choose which products to buy from the supplier (obviously the ones that sell) and ignore products a fully stocked shop would have but we could not afford because they did not sell well. I see exactly the same happening in this Carrefour, with random everyday products not available and it has been that ways for a while. I believe this is not a supply issue but rather what the store can afford.

Another sign I have experience of that I see happening in this store is the staff just not giving a shit. You have groups of guys who should be stacking shelves standing around in the store chatting, laughing, on their phones together, blocking the aisles. It was not like that before but has been happening recently.

This Carrefour used to be very busy because it is located essentially on on of the main gateways to provincia towards Moreno etc. Esepcially on the weekends the store would be packed with people. Not so much anymore.

As an aside on Carrefour, how awful is their online shopping site? Terrbile.

Foreigners with deep pockets won't care. They will laugh to themselves if that's the situation.
JMTC!
I think the Carrefour Hipermercado on Juan B; Justo opposite Velez Sarsfield stadium will close soon. When I was in university I worked in a supermarket and as the business started to fail we had to choose which products to buy from the supplier (obviously the ones that sell) and ignore products a fully stocked shop would have but we could not afford because they did not sell well. I see exactly the same happening in this Carrefour, with random everyday products not available and it has been that ways for a while. I believe this is not a supply issue but rather what the store can afford.

Another sign I have experience of that I see happening in this store is the staff just not giving a shit. You have groups of guys who should be stacking shelves standing around in the store chatting, laughing, on their phones together, blocking the aisles. It was not like that before but has been happening recently.

This Carrefour used to be very busy because it is located essentially on on of the main gateways to provincia towards Moreno etc. Esepcially on the weekends the store would be packed with people. Not so much anymore.

As an aside on Carrefour, how awful is their online shopping site? Terrbile.
I believe Carrefour is the world's second largest retailer.

I think it may more be a case of managing inventory and stocking what will sell???

I believe Carrefour is the world's second largest retailer.

I think it may more be a case of managing inventory and stocking what will sell???
No, I think it runs on a store by store basis. I am not talking about the size of Carrefour but rather the financial success of a single store. Each supermarket will have a budget and Carrefour will not just throw money at a failing store (not past a certain point). I worked for Tesco, the world's third largest retailer and the store I worked for closed because it stopped making money.

Now, whether that happens with the Carrefour Hipermarket in Velez remains to be seen but I am seeing the same signs. Regading the point about managing inventory for what would sell, that is basically my point. Successful stores do not do this, at least not for everyday products. For example, if you head to a thriving supermarket, they will stock items that rarely sell because they can take the hit. It may be a brand of toilet paper that is not a big seller but provides customers with choice. Less successful stores will not supply that brand because they don't have the money to waste.

The problem with the Carrefour I mentioned is they do it with whole product lines. So, you cannot buy any rice, or any spices, or only a few brands of cookies, no crackers, for example. So, it is either a failing store or has not enough budget. Neither is good news because a failing store means you continue to bleed customers. A store without a budget means you cannot cater to your customers because you have to make monetary decisions that remove products from the shelves.

Foreigners with deep pockets won't care. They will laugh to themselves if that's the situation.
JMTC!
I believe you must have spent considerable time in Venezuela in year 2021 to completely grasp at what I said about how expensive it has become.../ what 100 usd can buy in Caracas or in New York or in London or in Buenos Aires or in Bangkok on present Day. Thats what a person with "deep pockets" will consider.

I believe you must have spent considerable time in Venezuela in year 2021 to completely grasp at what I said about how expensive it has become.../ what 100 usd can buy in Caracas or in New York or in London or in Buenos Aires or in Bangkok on present Day. Thats what a person with "deep pockets" will consider.
Interesting point:

There are two kinds of people with deep pockets:

The first, and most common is the cheap, wealthy person. This is the person who is ruled by money, even though they have plenty of it. They simply don't know how to fully enjoy what they have and are preoccupied with retention / greed. Anytime they spend money, it is mentally painful for them.

Then there is the uncommon, wealthy person. This is the person who understands they aren't going to be taking it with them when they die, so they conclude, rightly so, it's better to use it as a tool to enjoy a comfortable life. And along the way, they just aren't keeping score because they are too focussed on living well compared to the other type of wealthy person who is simply a prisoner of their good condition.

Back