cockroaches

sora

Registered
Today a big three inch cockroach come into my house from the patio. It must have crawled over the wall into my yard and then into my house. How can I get rid of them?
 

davonz

Registered
Bait stations are the best way.. In NZ and AUS we have Raid brand.. I dont know if you can get them here, but i am guessing so as most countries i have lived in have them..
 

John.St

Registered
sora said:
Today a big three inch cockroach come into my house from the patio. It must have crawled over the wall into my yard and then into my house. How can I get rid of them?
Read The Straight Dope on how to butcher cockroaches right here: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/20/whats-the-best-way-to-kill-cockroaches

Whatever you do, do NOT smash the buggers, half are females containing eggs, which will soon hatch in your house.

BTW: cockroaches have wings and are are great flyers.
 

John.St

Registered
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach#Role_as_pests

An inexpensive roach trap can easily be made from a deep smooth-walled jar with some roach food inside, placed with the top of the jar touching a wall or with sticks leading up to the top, so that the roaches can reach the opening.

Once inside, they cannot climb back out.
An inch or so of water or stale beer (by itself a roach attractant) will ensure they drown.

The method works well with the American cockroach but less so with the German cockroach.
A bit of Vaseline can be smeared on the inside of the jar to enhance slipperiness.

The method is sometimes called the "Vegas roach trap" after it was popularized by a Las Vegas-based TV station. This version of the trap uses coffee grounds and water.
 

tangobob

Registered
John.St said:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach#Role_as_pests

An inexpensive roach trap can easily be made from a deep smooth-walled jar with some roach food inside, placed with the top of the jar touching a wall or with sticks leading up to the top, so that the roaches can reach the opening.

Once inside, they cannot climb back out.
An inch or so of water or stale beer (by itself a roach attractant) will ensure they drown.

The method works well with the American cockroach but less so with the German cockroach.
A bit of Vaseline can be smeared on the inside of the jar to enhance slipperiness.

The method is sometimes called the "Vegas roach trap" after it was popularized by a Las Vegas-based TV station. This version of the trap uses coffee grounds and water.
It is well know that the Germans are fussy with their beer, to catch a German roach you would obviously need a Lager beer, pure with no chemicals.:D
 

John.St

Registered
tangobob said:
It is well know that the Germans are fussy with their beer, to catch a German roach you would obviously need a Lager beer, pure with no chemicals.:D
I suspect that the minimum for this trap is 'Paulaner Weissbier' from München - no doubt German cockroaches are particular with their beer too :cool::D

Shouldn't you be in your little sleepy-beddie by now, bob? I ought to be in mine ;)
 

Macanudo

Registered
Just smash um with a slipper. If it is a pregnant female you will see a small pellet with unhatched eggs. Flush both down the toilet. If you don't want to kill them, attempt to catch them in a jar and take them outside and release them. Most are very fast and hard to capture. Roach hotels work also. They check in, but they don't check out. Keeping your house extremely clean helps also.
 

rihornos

Registered
I live in an old house and one day coming from holiday I found 2 big roaches in the bathroom I put some Raid spray in the gutter in the bathroom and cover it some other came out but since then I don`t have roaches and I spray every 2 or 3 months.
 
Top