Coghlan

anabeeare

Registered
So, I ran a search on the forum for information regarding Coghlan but really didn't pull anything up. Does anyone have any solid information or hints-tips regarding this barrio? How is it safety wise?

I have 2 argentine friends who are looking to buy there - They both work in the fashion/art world - which is usually a pretty good litmus test that it's an up and coming place.

I don't really know the place myself - but they say it's lovely, really quiet with great neighbourhood vibe and super easy to get anywhere from.

One tried to explain to me its Irish history - but all I understood was that it is the only barrio in Bs As with an Irish name (...I think!)

Definitely a nice livable neighborhood. Safety problems weren't significant, accept for a lot of homeless dudes just kind of standing around. There's not really foreigners there, so there's not people that prey on them. Decently policed as well. I'd expect the safety issues that Argentines might face, rather then being targeted as a tourist. If you did have an incident, it might be more severe than a snatch and grab or something. I would check the physical security of the apartment itself and not take it if someone could force entry. But in general, no worries. I feel worse in the Microcentro alone at night.

The prices are a bit cheaper than the foreigner neighborhoods, but there is also notably less stuff to do. Cabildo is nearby, but it is really shopping, restaurants and cafes. This was really the downside to me, because I like to be in walking distance of some kind of goings-on.

Coghlan is out there too. You might want to try the bus ride from the places you usually go and ask if you're up for it on a regular basis. I don't know how many times I just didn't go out because I didn't want to drag myself to Palermo.

The only issue that I think you might run into is that it can be difficult to get anywhere. For most trips you'll most likely have to combine 2 buses or a bus with the subway or the train in.

The only concern about safety would be with the train station there. But the above comment is right, you won't be targeted for being a foreigner there.

I had an Argentine friend that lived there. I thought it was a nice, quiet, residential neighborhood. Kinda like a mini-colegiales.

There were very few restaurants/bars/coffee shops (at least compared to Palermo/Belgrano). I felt very safe there.

Seemed kinda boring to me.

All I can say is I love Coghlan. IMO, it's similar to Belgrano R but more middle-class. va2ba's pretty much right about the transportation issue when it comes to buses, but if you're headed downtown you have two trains stations (Coghlan and Drago) from where to get to Retiro. I'm not sure about the train stations being unsafe really, especially Coghlan station. I think they used to be worse. As HeyBA said, police presence is quite noticeable. The "triangle-like" area formed by the splitting Mitre and J.L. Suarez train ramales is a "semi-closed" neighborhood, not very convenient for criminal activity. Few ways in, few ways out. No easy getaways. I know a couple with kids who live there and they're very happy.

Definitely worth considering if you like it quiet and neighborly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 0
R Expat Life 11
Back