Colonia runs as of May 2024

Joddson

Registered
Hello all,

I've just got back from a short weekend trip to Colonia and thought I'd share the experience since there's been some back and forth about the practicality of using the runs to reset 90 day visas lately.

Background, my girlfriend (Argentine) and I wanted to see Colonia for the first time, so I didn't opt for the remote worker visa heading into Argentina this trip. On the way out with Burquebus, absolutely no questions. On the way back in, just questions about time of stay and address. Very fast and easy with the Argentine migrations step being on the Uruguay side of the water. I won't claim to know the migrations law, but it seems like folks who have posted about issues with this reset run are only ones who already had 3 month extensions before taking the trip.

I don't advocate abusing the rules, but it seem that technically standard tourist visas are the only real option for folks staying 90 days or less. Example being, if someone entered Argentina under the 180 day remote visa, and wanted to take a weekend trip out within that, the re-entry would force them into a 90 day tourist visa (as far as I can tell).

Either way, Colonia makes a very nice trip but I'll personally opt for the remote visa again next time as after hotel and travel it comes out to about half the price.

Just wanted to get this up in-case it could help anyone making dollar or visa runs.

Hello all,

I've just got back from a short weekend trip to Colonia and thought I'd share the experience since there's been some back and forth about the practicality of using the runs to reset 90 day visas lately.

Background, my girlfriend (Argentine) and I wanted to see Colonia for the first time, so I didn't opt for the remote worker visa heading into Argentina this trip. On the way out with Burquebus, absolutely no questions. On the way back in, just questions about time of stay and address. Very fast and easy with the Argentine migrations step being on the Uruguay side of the water. I won't claim to know the migrations law, but it seems like folks who have posted about issues with this reset run are only ones who already had 3 month extensions before taking the trip.

I don't advocate abusing the rules, but it seem that technically standard tourist visas are the only real option for folks staying 90 days or less. Example being, if someone entered Argentina under the 180 day remote visa, and wanted to take a weekend trip out within that, the re-entry would force them into a 90 day tourist visa (as far as I can tell).

Either way, Colonia makes a very nice trip but I'll personally opt for the remote visa again next time as after hotel and travel it comes out to about half the price.

Just wanted to get this up in-case it could help anyone making dollar or visa runs.

Good info, thanks for posting. I see the magic word "dollar" in the final sentence of your post. Does this mean it's still possible to extract USD from the ATMs in Colonia?

Good info, thanks for posting. I see the magic word "dollar" in the final sentence of your post. Does this mean it's still possible to extract USD from the ATMs in Colonia?
Ah darn, sorry, didn't actually try to pull any for myself this trip. I just meant in terms of migrations practicality. Maybe someone else will have some more ATM input.

Does anybody know of an alternative to using Buquebus to Uruguay?.
There use to be another service but can’t remember the name.
Thanks.

For what it’s worth I’ve been here 18 months now and gone in and out plenty of times with a bunch of overstays and only now got my first comment from migraciones that I should apply for a DNI because I’m pushing it a bit too far.

Does anybody know of an alternative to using Buquebus to Uruguay?.
There use to be another service but can’t remember the name.
Thanks.

SEACAT doesn't exist any more.
The cheaper alternative to Colonia is COLONIA EXPRESS: if you travel with them, you carry your own luggage with you (you don't check your bags) and the worst part that I find is the location, coming back at night. I don't feel secure in that area so I always try to return at night with Buquebus.

Back