Colonia

jantango said:
Buquebus fare hasn't been increased from what it was ten years ago. It's tied to the dollar and has always been $70.

Joe said:
Thanks Jan,

the $70 - Pesos? - One way?

Do you need a printer to buy on line or can you show your ID/passport like for an airline ticket?

I think I saw in some other thread that Migraciones was closed until ? because of Swine Flu.

I'm thinking that he means US$70. That's why he wrote "It's tied to the dollar and has always been $70."

Of course that's not entirely true, because I went to Colonia ~May 12th, 2007 when the exchange was about US$1 = AR$3.10 and I paid ~AR$90 for a roundtrip on the hour boat. However, I did leave on the early boat ~9:00am and that might have explained a little bit, but not much.

Since then the price has gone to like AR$170-ish, then AR$200 when I went 2 months ago and AR$210 when I went this past Tuesday.

Also, the Buquebus is on the north end of Puerto Madero. Don't think of it as right near Retiro. It's not that far, but it's absolutely AT Puerto Madero.

Two months ago they had video cameras with heat sensors for the Dengue Fever scare.

On Tuesday they didn't have anything like that.

I got to talking to an American family of 4 on the boat over and they ended up offering to buy mi amiga's & my lunch if they could tag along and I could point out somethings. So we got about AR$100 worth of food & drink for babysitting. Not bad. They were nice and interesting. Good things can happen in Colonia.

Also, the boat was at about 60%-70% capacity. Usually it is about 110% capacity with people sitting on the floor in the main entrance/lobby thing. The VIP chairs above the Duty Free were practically empty and the 1st class to the left with free champagne was at most 10% full.

Gripe Baby!!!!!

Enjoy your trip.

I'm heading off to Colonia tomorrow - can anyone recommend some good restaurants? I have been numerous times but I've only had decent meals - maybe some place nice by the water or somewhere with good chivito!

If you want a different more adventureous experience try sailing to Colonia! We just had a lovely trip across to Colonia on July 9-10th, we sailed over on Smile a 30ft sailing boat. We left at 10:00 am arrived around 2:30pm. There was a nice strong breeze and we sailed all the way there. Had a short walk through the old city and we stayed overnight in the most charming hotel called La Mision near the light house. We left the next day at 12:00 and arrived in Puerto Madero at 6:00 (there wasn't much wind so we had to motor most of the way back). We LOVED every minute and frankly I could have stayed longer in Colonia. I would have rather had one full day so say 2 days 2 nights. It was so cute and charming and very relaxing. So for something a bit different (its not cheap!) Check out the following:
http://www.smileonsea.com/index_en.php

http://www.lamisionhotel.com/principal_ing.html

Back