Colonia

va2ba

Registered
I need to renew my visa tomorrow by going to Uruguay and I was planning on just going for a few hours. But my girlfriend (who is Argentine) says that I need to stay out of the country for at least 24 hours before I come back. It is aparently something related to Mercosur because to many people are crossing the borders for just a few hours and then coming back.

I have NEVER heard of this, and I'd rather not spend the money for a hotel if I don't have too.

Has anyone heard this? Do you have to stay out of the country for 24 hours? Any experience with this?

unless it's something very new - I had a friend visiting from the states a few weeks ago and he made the trip in the afternoon. It would be laughable for the country to force tourists to stay in uruguay overnight.

We just went and came back on the same day last week. No problems. I think it is okay.

I just went for a day trip a month ago- no problems whatsoever. My Argentine boyfriend had the same concerns as your girlfriend though!

I've been there and back on the same day many times - about 10. 95% of the time it's fine. To my knowledge, there is no rule/law about going there and back in 1 day. I have had some problems coming back in, but that's because I've lived here a long time so now they're getting difficult with me. But I'm sure that's a different issue - or we all know that policies change all the time etc. But in general I'm sure you're ok

Just went today to Colonia, there was no problem, went in the morning and got back with the 4.30 pm buquebus.....

Dolly said:
... I've lived here a long time so now they're getting difficult with me...

What do they say?

(Expiring minds want to know.)

Ever the conspiracy theorist I think this thread is a ruse to ferret out the illegals. (Sorry that was a joke).

In answer to 'steveinbsas' - unfortunately they held me at the port for 24 hours - then cancelled my precaria - I then spent 6 months paying hideous amounts of money to avoid the deportation notice that was on my file (cause we paid to see my file so we knew it was there but it never got to court).................but my case is an exception I know. But I'm a tad nervous now, as you can imagine. Hence after 4 years (and lots of good times) I'm out of here!

Back