Comedian Robin Williams Dead: Apparent Suicide.

Such a great talent and such a loss, not only to those of us who found happiness in his work but also to his family and friends. I think there was a world-wide collective gasp last night reading the news, "Oh no! Not Robin Williams!"

Thank you Mr. Williams for giving us the best of yourself. :)

O Captain My Captain ! (Poem from Dead Poet's Society)

Oh Captain My Captain ! But I, with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.
O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done; The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won; The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring: But O heart! heart! heart! 5 O the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells; Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills; 10 For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding; For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning; Here Captain! dear father! This arm beneath your head; It is some dream that on the deck, 15 You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still; My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done; From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won; 20 Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells! But I, with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

Walt Whitman (1819–1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.

On the outskirts of Bahía Blanca, they wouldn't recognize a metaphor even if it hit them on the (fountain)head.

As I made the post about Robin fighting depression, I knew someone would probably make a comment about the word demons only being used as a metaphor.

I was not surprised that the Bay Bridge Troll would use it to make a snarky comment about me. Could there possibly be a less appropriate thread in which to do so?

The Robin Williams suicide has received a great deal of media coverage in the past day and I heard the same "demons" metaphor used by the host of a Florida radio talk show this morning.

Equating clinical depression with demonic possession can be a monstrously destructive metaphor, especially when someone who is depressed begins to think in those terms. That can happen in a heartbeat, especially if they have been watching CNN durng the past 24 hours.

It's difficult enough for someone who has been diagnosed with depression to deal with the illness as well as the label. It is much worse if they begin to believe that they are also fighting demons.

The obvious conclusion, which can be reached almost instantaneously by a depressed person who hears (and easily accepts that "metaphor" applies to them) is, "If Robin Williams, with all of his success, fame, wealth, family, and friends could not beat those demons, who am I to fight them, and look at all the attention he has received since he killed himself."

For someone who suddenly "realizes" they are fighting demons that even someone like Robin Williams could not overcome, the solution that Robin found might suddenly appear to be the answer.

Depression is unbelievably painful, and those who suffer from it often suffer in complete silence, even when they are surrounded by those who love them. I have had several friends who suffered from depression, but I did not know it until they killed themselves. The most recent was the vet who cared for my dogs in the municipality in which I live. He was one of the nicest men I've met since moving to Argentina. He has a wife and daughter and a home and successful business. One afternoon he went home for lunch and while it was being prepared, went out in the back yard and hung himself.

As I made the post about Robin fighting depression, I knew someone would probably make a comment about the word demons only being used as a metaphor.

With his sense of humor, Robin Williams would certainly enjoy seeing a clueless straight man set himself up.

With his sense of humor, Robin Williams would certainly enjoy seeing a clueless straight man set himself up.

I wonder how many members of the forum have a clue as to what was humorous about the line, "On the outskirts of Bahía Blanca, they wouldn't recognize a metaphor even if it hit them on the (fountain)head." I also wonder how many of them recognize the tile of a novel that was written by an author who's name you no longer include in your posts after using it about a hundred times in irrelevant and occasionally repulsive replies to mine?

Why in the world would you want to make this thread about me? Just to get some new digs in?

If that's the case, the new dig is extremely shallow and incredibly insensitive.

I am certain, however, that Robin would have enjoyed the irony in seeing who was actually clueless about being set up. :rolleyes:

Back