coming from Europe

Blume

Registered
Hi,
my husband is thinking about taking a position in Buenos aires, now I´m thinking about some important things, I need to know before .....
We have 2 boys, 5 and almost 4. So we will need an international school & Pre-school. Since they are attending english-preschool now, we would like to keep it that way, So I need to know what is the best international school. I´m mexican so my boys speak already spanish, or maybe is there a german one? we are living now in Germany, so maybe we can keep everything like here - german-english school and spanish at home.
The other thing ist the house. Which part do you recomend? Quite and family friendly, and not so far from my husband´s office Avenida Henry Ford & General Pacheco.
Sorry , so many questions...
Thank you

The most famous and possibly the best English school in the area is the Lincoln School in the northern suburb of La Lucila. From what I understand, the students go to school the same months, as the kids in the U,S. and Europe, instead of following an Argentine schedule.

I'm sure that there are many other English schools in BA.

There are 2 "chapters" of the Buenos Aires International Newcomers; one is in the city and the other is in the northern suburbs. The women wosekids go to the Lincoln School are very involved with the suberban group.

I checked a map and was unable to find the streets that you mentioned. Apparently, this location is not in the Capital Federal.

Argentina has good international schools, and there are German schools. The schools run on the Southern Hemisphere schedule. This month is the last month of school before summer break. In fact, most schools end this week. The new year will start either at the end of January or beginning of February depending on school. Most international schools will run: Argentina, IGSCE, and IB curriculium.
Lincoln runs on the Northern Hemisphere. They are still in the 2008-2009 school year. They run the American curriculium, AP, and IB.
http://www.cobisec.org/bi_argentina.htm
http://privateschool.about.com/od/argentinaschools/Argentina.htm
I would look for houses after you arrive. What area is your husband working?

rumpelstiltskin said:
I checked a map and was unable to find the streets that you mentioned. Apparently, this location is not in the Capital Federal.

It's in Zona Norte, like near Tigre. I'm guessing it's the Volkswagon office. I know nothing about the area though.

Hi, yes it would be the Volkswagen office....
can you recomend something there? It seems like we are flying M-January to look and see. If there are schools runing like here (from Aug on) will be better, I think to match the new scholl year when (if je je ) coming back.

I sent you a private note. In January the schools will be on Summer Break...even Lincoln. The new year starts end of January/begin of Feb. I won't worry to much about matching things up. Tigre is a nice area. Most expats live either in San Isidro area. The problem with living in Zone Norte is you might need a car. If you rent/get/ a house with walking distance you should be fine. A lot of people use remises up here.

I posted a long "how to" about schools after we found a school for our two girls here. The post can be found at http://www.micheleandtom.com/2008/11/hunting-for-schools-in-baires-redux/ on my blog. The first item in that post links back to my forum post on the subject here at BA Expats. If you have further questions after reading it, please feel free to email me. (Some of it won't apply to you, since your kids speak Spanish already!)

Good Luck!

Blume said:
Hi, yes it would be the Volkswagen office....
can you recomend something there? It seems like we are flying M-January to look and see. If there are schools runing like here (from Aug on) will be better, I think to match the new scholl year when (if je je ) coming back.

Do you not have a relocation agent helping you? The houses there can be quite reasonably priced. You can look here: www.argenprop.com to get an idea. Under Region choose Norte gran BA. Then Tigre.

Back