Coming In April - Do I Have It Right?

Thanks everyone, this is great! The right neighborhood will make or break the trip, so knowing I want near the Line D of the metro is a big help. I've been using Google Maps for things like metro stops; in other countries it's been up to date so I assume the same here, but I'll check out those resources.

I've now gotten multiple recommendations for Palermo because there is is more to do. That does sound convenient, providing I can find an apartment that shields me from the street noise. That's part of why I thought Recoleta might be better, but perhaps not by much?

It is difficult to strike a balance between fun and peaceful, and I find the noise level has more to do with the building than anything (tower apt., double pane windows, etc.).

On past trips I've relied on Trip Advisor heavily, and in some places Yelp or Foursquare. If there are others please let me know. And especially any guidebooks that covers culture, etiquette, etc. Thanks again!

To avoid noise: stay away from Avenidas, try to get a unit "contrafrente" (i.e. not in the building facing the street, but in the twin, inner building) or "corazón de manzana" (in the middle of the block). Also avoid cobblestone streets - for as much as they nice looking, transit is much noisier there. Avoid the 1st floor.

Also worth mentioning: the subway runs until different hours depending on the line. For example Linea D runs until 11PM (see http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/subte/horarios/linea-d-ultimo-subte). Considering here you go out to have dinner at 9PM, there is not much time left to make it home. However, buses run 24/7 and taxis are cheap!

I don't think there is a noise difference between Palermo and Recoleta, it all depends on the street, the position of your building, etc.

Check out Bytargentina.com instead of Airbnb. You pay for the rentals in USD cash so bring what you need from the states, make sure as much of it as you can is $100 bills. There are more listings and are cheaper than Airbnb. They charge a flat $45 USD fee, maximum booking period is 6 months.

I don't understand why you are so focused on the subway. We live in Palermo, we walk and bus everywhere, and rarely use the subway.
I personally would stay at a B & B for a week, walk in the different neighborhoods, see what feels most comfortable and then look for an apartment.
Nancy

I don't understand why you are so focused on the subway.

Its not easy to understand the route of buses so easily for a person just arriving. It has taken me several years to understand the buses here. Yes, buses are more easy as one does not have to go down in the station. But with subway, its hard to get lost.

I recommend you stay hotel dazzler uno ( in Palermo) for 1 week or 10 days and then look for a airbnb.

I Agree with Tom, buses are way more convenient, and since the metrobus they go fairly fast not so many trafic jams anymore. You can always check on the buenos aires map for the routes at the begining.

A great B & B that I always recommend is The Fifth Floor, right in Palermo. A wonderful couple owns and runs it, they are very generous with their time and knowledge about the city.
Nancy

hey our place might be free for a short let

I agree - Buenos Aires is more of a bus city - there are buses going everywhere and you can usually get to your destination just by taking one bus. The subway is great on rush hours, but other than that...
However, I think that having rails and fixed route (like on a train or on a subway car) it is reassuring for a newbie: with buses there are so many "ramales" that it can get complicate.

Personally, I think Palermo is not very well served by the subway (except the part along Linea D) and maybe this is why Palermo viejo preserved so well its feeling of a city within a city.
Like Nancy, I find Soho very nice to walk. When you walk, it is not just a matter of going from A to B, you spot little details that make your journey interesting.

You've definitely convinced me of Palermo, it sounds great!

I don't know that I will be constantly using the subway, but they have been very useful in other cities, esp. given my relatively short stay and the fact that I have no idea where I'll be going. I'm a big networker and fill my schedule with meetups and Internations events to meet people, which can be anywhere. They are usually right after work, and a subway will be immune to rush hour traffic, which is bad in every city. My experience with buses in Prague was amazing, they were new and beautiful and clean, and if BA buses are like that than I'm a fool for suggesting otherwise. But in most places (including/esp. the US) it's been... not so pleasant. Taxis are fine, too, and I see you have Uber now. I think it's great to have options (including walking, when it's not raining).

Spending time in a city before picking a place is obviously a good idea, but between you wonderful people and Airbnb ratings, I'm not too worried. The big drawback is that if I wait until the last minute, it's hard to get a great place for 2 months straight; someone invariably books a week in the middle. And getting that monthly rate discount is huge.

Right now I'm seeing some very nice places in my budget just south of/between the Palermo and Plaza Italia Linea D stations. Reviews are very positive, and looks to be a 15-20 minute walk from most of the Palermo Soho spots. Will probably book a place there soon unless people think it's a bad idea.

Back