Coming Next Year-How to prepare

About getting a permanent residency before you come, well I disagree based on my personal experience...I am from Minnesota. My husband is also Argentine. We came here in December with our 2 children. The 3 of us came with our permanent residencies and our kids had no problem applying for their DNI, documento nacional identificacion. I, on the other hand have had the most difficult time due to the fact that the Argentine Cosulate in Chicago put the wrong last name...my married name vs. my maiden name because, here, married or not, woman ALWAYS use their maiden name for every document. I have since had to do a rectification of my name which STILL hasn't arrived and I applied for it on the 3rd of March. ANYTHING you have to do as far as paperwork goes takes FOREVER! BUT if you come as a visitor and upon arrival, apply for permanent residency you will have your DNI within 6 months. I have talked to people who did it that way and it is much easier. I will be doing the same thing...I have a "permanent residency" but it expires next month and I will have to renew...instead I will be going to Chile or Uruguay to re-enter as a visitor and do as I have told you above...
ANYWAY, mace, yes, that would be a good idea!, pocket knife, ALWAYS cross your purse in front of you and keep it in front...back packs are useless unless you are going to wear it backwards...but your husband should know all this.
About your fingerprints YES that is something you should do before, as well as multiple certified copies of your birth cert., marriage license etc. ALL with apostiles. I went to my local office in MN with those documents and waited 20 minutes and left with all of my apostiles...depends on the state, I guess...
So, I hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for info. I was advised to enter as a tourist and then proceed with obtaining my residency for the ease of bringing items into the country. I will pick up some mace. Good to have in any city. Do they still sell the good stuff in Montana? It is illegal where I am and friends would pick me up some.

Mace is available here - pepper spray and stun guns are available, too, but the locals don't bother with any of those. They are of very little use against five guys with guns, or lightning-fast purse snatches by thieves on motorcycles.

Better to learn which neighborhoods to avoid, keep your passport at home, don't wear flashy jewelry, and carry a cross-body purse.

SaraSara said:
Mace is available here - pepper spray and stun guns are available, too, but the locals don't bother with any of those. They are of very little use against five guys with guns, or lightning-fast purse snatches by thieves on motorcycles.

Better to learn which neighborhoods to avoid, keep your passport at home, don't wear flashy jewelry, and carry a cross-body purse.

Or just avoid living in Capital Federal if you can.

There is plenty of crime in the better neighborhoods (Recoleta and Palermo) nowadays.

Mariposa79 said:
I have a "permanent residency" but it expires next month and I will have to renew...instead I will be going to Chile or Uruguay to re-enter as a visitor and do as I have told you above...

How can "permanent residency" expire (unless you are out of the country for more than two years)?

French jurist said:
To prepare yourself as a future portena, you can do the following exercises :
- wait 30 minutes on purpose everytime you go to the bank
- wait 45 minutes on purpose everytime you go to the post office
- cross the street with your eyes closed
- deliberately walk in dog poos in the street
- trying to enter a bus/metro before the passengers inside exit
- in the traffic while driving, putting your turnlight on the right while turning on the left
-etc etc..

You'll feel immediately as a porteno/a once you arrive here ;)
Hilarious!

jayjane said:
Thanks everyone for info. I was advised to enter as a tourist and then proceed with obtaining my residency for the ease of bringing items into the country. I will pick up some mace. Good to have in any city. Do they still sell the good stuff in Montana? It is illegal where I am and friends would pick me up some.

As a new permanent resident you can bring your posessions into the country duty free for the first 6 months I believe. In fact, in order to ship things in a lot of companies will require you to present residency. I assume your husband already has his then?

I don't understand the woman that says her residency expired -- unless it was temporary residency, and if she was already married to an Argentine when she got her residency, she would have been put in process for permanent residency right away -- though your evidence of permission to stay in the country --- your Certificado de Residencia Precaria --- does first comes in paper format that does indeed have an expiry date -- perhaps this has cause the confusion?

However the expiry date isn't there as a date to kick you out of the country, it is the date by which your permanent card should arrive, and if it hasn't at that date you get on the phone and bitch and complain as any self-respecting Argentine would until they have their permanent card in hand....

I would say web design and website maintenance. I know a ton of Argentines with their own businesses who need new or updated websites. If you are reliable and know the basics, you will have your work cut out for you.
Being a bartender who can do more than pour wine (mix actual, interesting, tasty cocktails) would make you another rarity here, especially if you work outside the center of the city.

steveinbsas said:
Or just avoid living in Capital Federal if you can.

There is plenty of crime in the better neighborhoods (Recoleta and Palermo) nowadays.

Recoleta and Palermo are some of the neighborhoods I would avoid.

Criminals flock to places favored by the wealthy, so Recoleta has the Capital's highest robbery rates. Palermo is known to be full of unsuspecting gringos and tourists - good hunting ground, too.

Mariposa79 said:
About getting a permanent residency before you come, well I disagree based on my personal experience...I am from Minnesota. My husband is also Argentine. We came here in December with our 2 children. The 3 of us came with our permanent residencies and our kids had no problem applying for their DNI, documento nacional identificacion. I, on the other hand have had the most difficult time due to the fact that the Argentine Cosulate in Chicago put the wrong last name...my married name vs. my maiden name because, here, married or not, woman ALWAYS use their maiden name for every document. I have since had to do a rectification of my name which STILL hasn't arrived and I applied for it on the 3rd of March. ANYTHING you have to do as far as paperwork goes takes FOREVER! BUT if you come as a visitor and upon arrival, apply for permanent residency you will have your DNI within 6 months. I have talked to people who did it that way and it is much easier. I will be doing the same thing...I have a "permanent residency" but it expires next month and I will have to renew...instead I will be going to Chile or Uruguay to re-enter as a visitor and do as I have told you above...
ANYWAY, mace, yes, that would be a good idea!, pocket knife, ALWAYS cross your purse in front of you and keep it in front...back packs are useless unless you are going to wear it backwards...but your husband should know all this.
About your fingerprints YES that is something you should do before, as well as multiple certified copies of your birth cert., marriage license etc. ALL with apostiles. I went to my local office in MN with those documents and waited 20 minutes and left with all of my apostiles...depends on the state, I guess...
So, I hope this helps!

I am having the problem wher they say I have to go to the American Ambassy (which is a pain cause I am Bariloche) to get a letter that says my married name on my passport is the same person on my birth certificate. I've contacted them & it only takes an hour to wait for it, cost like $50. I don't know if that would help you.

Back