Coming to BA - Pilar

BHNCA said:
I meant from Tigre or Sa Fernando to Pilar,not too far via la ruta 8:)

Yes :p but for the wife, it will be almost as tricky to go to Capital while the husband enjoys the proximity. :D

And living in Del Viso (10 minutes from Pilar), you have the train which goes up to BA center in 1h05 minutes. It is one of the safest train compared to some others (the one starting from Plaza Miserere is aweful, the San Martin one is bad too).

I used to take that train with my bycicle, in the "furgon", day and night, among cartoneros and a few "pibes chorros" and I never felt unsafe (but that's me, I have a big lucky star above me)

BTW, what the Chinese are up to?..... Not another chino supermarket I hope :D

Or it's a Danish enterprise?

Do not woory. The company is Danish :p We have build a new and bigger factory in China to replace an old one and will do the same in Argentina. The company name is Hempel Coating.

There's the budget aspect too, but likely your company will pay for the rent, did they give you a limit ?

A good house is Olivos, Martinez, San Isidro, furnished, with pool has a r ent of likely 2500 USD minimum for a short term rental (that's my own guess).

A good house in or around Pilar, with a bigger garden and a bigger pool, furnished would be subject to negotiation (they don't appear on the internet, and can be found from word of mouth) but could probably be found for about 1200/1500 USD.
I pay 500 USD + 100 charges for a 2 floors house in a gated community, unfurnished, with 2400 m2 (20.000 sq.ft) and a 10x5 meters pool. The house is not in a perfect shape (a bit of infiltrations) but is nice, and the garden is beautiful.

I can see on the Internet that you need a budget for up to $2500 to get something near what we would like. Maybe I can get that in the contract but if we choose to live outside BA this actually is not necessary. I was told that I could expect a budget of $1500 - $2000.

My friends stayed 6 months and paid 54,000 pesos for that time if I recall correctly. Here is the email of the guy we dealt with, Ramon: [email protected]

With our daughter and the open landscape, garden and pool and much more we may choose Pilar or the gates communities nearby. I will try to contact this guy to see the possibilities.

PHP:
Calle 7, Fatima, Pilar_Map distance and time driving from and to Recoleta

From Martinez or nearby it though seems like it only will take 45 minutes to commute (if no accidents and so on :eek:), but then we also need the budget.
I think that I will let my wife give this issue some thoughts.

I'm an expat from scotland, just moved to pilar 3 months ago. My husband works in the industrial park, where I suspect you will be building. As long as you live RIGHT next to ruta 8 then your desired 45 min commute might be managable. But if you are looking to live in suburbs, or a nice gated community I would add 20 mins at the least to your commute.

You are right that there is no "rush hour" traffic to Pilar, there is however CONSTANT industrial park traffic. And once you get to the park itself expect to be waiting 5-10 mins to enter it. The roads are very badly maintianed and the heavy loaded lorries drive slower than you can walk along the entrance road. The traffic IN Pilar cerntre itself IS heavy at rush hour, with ALOT of school traffic. Pilar suffers alot from a lack of urban planning. However, there are good ammentites for your wife, lots of shopping centres, and very good private hospitals etc, also, strangly there are alot of places to take pilate classes..

The shortest commute would be if you lived just outside Pilar in Fatima, the gated neighbourhoods are; los potrillos, lomas de fatima, los cerrillos san javier & soles del pilar http://www.cosefa.com.ar/planos.htm. You will get more for your money here but there are far far less amentities and your wife WILL need access to a car to get the shopping etc.

As for an expat comummunity there's not, much of one here in Pilar. I think there are just not enough long term expats living in the area to sustian any sort of foundation, however there are alot of short term expats, and many people in higher up positions do speak english, just not so much in shops.

And living in Del Viso (10 minutes from Pilar), you have the train which goes up to BA center in 1h05 minutes. It is one of the safest train compared to some others (the one starting from Plaza Miserere is aweful, the San Martin one is bad too).

I used to take that train with my bycicle, in the "furgon", day and night, among cartoneros and a few "pibes chorros" and I never felt unsafe (but that's me, I have a big lucky star above me)

Does that mean i can carry my cycle in train?

Does that mean i can carry my cycle in train?

Yes, you can take bicycles on the train in the "furgon" car but I would never do this on the San Martin line...night or day. You (and your wife and child) will stand out and be instant targets for robbers. You can (more) safely ride your bike(s) in Pilar.

I'm an expat from scotland, just moved to pilar 3 months ago.

I am currently looking for a furnished apartment in Pilar. Are there any good apt. buildings that stand out in your mind as a good choice? Or else... is showing up in a rental car and driving around Pilar a good way to find some housing? I am starting an MBA program at the Universidad Austral, IAE Business School and would like to move in somewhere January 3rd, - ish.

US$600 per month for a one-bedroom apt., or splitting rent with roommates for a multi-bedroom apt. in the same per person price range is my uninformed target rent. Does anyone have any ideas?

Do not woory. The company is Danish :p We have build a new and bigger factory in China to replace an old one and will do the same in Argentina. The company name is Hempel Coating.

Great! Paint now even better now you have taken over Blakes :lol:

Best antifouling and yacht paint around! ;)

Back