Coming to Buenos Aires on Nov 26th

No Moss

Registered
I believe I have sorted out all the details, and I'll be arriving in Buenos Aires on the morning of the 26th (from Bangkok). Just a few practical questions.

I'll be bringing 3 bags, so I'll need a taxi. How much is a taxi from the airport to downtown, and are there any things to watch out for?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small room with bath in a decent barrio for around US$20-25 a night, or is that impossible these days? Sorry, I don't do dorm style.

How much money can I withdraw from the bank (in one day) on my ATM (debit) card?

Thanks to all for the great help on this web site.

Buena suerte to everyone, and Feliz Navidade! (Hope my spelling is OK--my Spanish is a little rusty!)

I'll be bringing 3 bags, so I'll need a taxi. How much is a taxi from the airport to downtown, and are there any things to watch out for?

There is a shuttle bus named Manuel Tienda Leon that you can take to a terminal near downtown for a lot less money than a taxi.

http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp

They will take you to the terminal (ask to go 'a la terminal Madero') and (then if not too far) they can drive you to your destination. This is 45 pesos and you can pay by credit card. If it is far you have to go from there (I went to Palermo, for eg.) they won't take you and you need a taxi. That was ~20 pesos when I did it 2 wks ago.

You'll see the Leon booth on the left as soon as you pick up your luggage and exit that area. Once you have your ticket, exit out of the building and hang a left to terminal B. It's a 2-3 min walk and you will see the 'Lion Buses' nearby.

Every one I've taken have only had a few passengers on it, so I can't see any issue with 3 bags. Make sure to keep the tags they'll give you for the bags - you'll need them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small room with bath in a decent barrio for around US$20-25 a night, or is that impossible these days? Sorry, I don't do dorm style.

Others will have their recommendations, but check out these sites for the 1st few days at least:

www.hostelbookers.com
www.hostelworld.com

Yes, they're hostel sites, but private rooms can be found.

How much money can I withdraw from the bank (in one day) on my ATM (debit) card?

This has been discussed a lot in this forum.

Short answer, might be $300 or 900 pesos, but others have mentioned that they can withdraw a lot more -- all depending on the policies of their home bank.

There is something like an 11 peso fee to withdraw funds down here I've heard. If I'm off, someone will correct me.

Personally, I'm only done for a month, so I brought sufficient cash so I wouldn't withdraw from ATM's.

dsc said:
They will take you to the terminal (ask to go 'a la terminal Madero') and (then if not too far) they can drive you to your destination. This is 45 pesos and you can pay by credit card. If it is far you have to go from there (I went to Palermo, for eg.) they won't take you and you need a taxi. That was ~20 pesos when I did it 2 wks ago.

That would be 65 pesos (including taxi) and you would have the hassle of carrying your bags between the shuttle and the taxi. When you exit the baggage reclaim area (or even the remises just before you exit) you could stand there and wait for other people who are looking for taxis and ask them if they want to share... it has probably gone up in price a bit since i was last there, but the taxi was about 90 pesos to the center (i assume now it is over 100) and you will get dropped off exactly where you want.

taxi/remise was 94 pesos from the airport to Palermo last weekend. I wouldn't deal with the hassle of bus + taxi. You'll save 30 pesos and add a lot of hassle/time.

Back