Coming without Preparations?

You should avoid hostels, they aren`t cheap. Look for a room at a pension, it´s the same than a hostel but for countryside students who come to Buenos Aires. Of course there are pensiones for very poor people, avoid them. You should look for around Facultad de medicina. I know one, "La Toja", nothing fancy, unexpensive, well located. It is at the corner of Junin and Tucuman. I don`t know how much does it cost, I lived there in my first year at university and it was over 11 years ago. Take a look at www.mercadolibre.com.ar for notebooks, perhaps you can buy a notebook and a netbook and to resell them here. Regards

Bajo Cero's suggestion is clever indeed : Let's say you have 2000$ in cash to come, invest 1500$ to buy an iPad and an iPhone 4. Unpack them before you place them in your luggage so they don't look new. And here you will resell them real quick, with a 60/100% profit.

Sincerely, go for it if you come, you are sure to resell them quick (even on this forum)

French jurist said:
Bajo Cero's suggestion is clever indeed : Let's say you have 2000$ in cash to come, invest 1500$ to buy an iPad and an iPhone 4. Unpack them before you place them in your luggage so they don't look new. And here you will resell them real quick, with a 60/100% profit.

Sincerely, go for it if you come, you are sure to resell them quick (even on this forum)

I agree good advice but this only delays the final reckoning. I have a nephew that lives in Bogota. He goes back to the states every other month or so and brings at least 3 laptops back to Columbia on every trip. Of course he has free tickets on an airline or this wouldn't be possible. He has been in in Bogota for over a year and has had no luck in finding a job. He is a native Spanish speaker with an engineering degree with several years of experience. The main reason he is there is that he married a Colombian girl and he has residence. A American in B.A. or any other city in Latin America without even rudimentary language skills or residency has little if any chance of making a real living anywhere where jobs in the best of times(like now) are extremely hard to come by. The OP shouldn't be given any false hopes.

I will agree with the Debbie Downer comments - at least if you're planning on truly being an expat and staying. If you want to just come for a few months and hang out - do it! Have fun & meet lots of people. If you're planning on making a life here - then absolutely not. Preparation is essential.

Back