Community Questions

MattyR

Registered
Hello all,

Firstly the post below gives some detail as to who we are, but we thought we'd pop over here to ask the questions and not put them in the newcomers forum.

http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/15026-ex-pat-couple-new-buenos-aires.html

Despite me looking through multiple threads here I'm still having problems locating UK 3 pin and Slovak 2 pin adaptors to convert to the 3 pin Argentina - I know we made a mistake not bringing them, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! I have seen many people suggest adaptors can be found, but no references to actual shops other than alamtec (SP!) who when I got someone Spanish speaking to phone they said they didnt have any. Please help!

As per the other thread we are currently in temporary accomodation in San Isidro but are being shown properties through a real estate agent to rent sponsored by my company. We have primarily been looking at gated communities - NorDelta (SP!) and Santa Barbara for example, does anyone have any specific feedback on Santa Barbara as a location to live? As I am working in Martinez the distance away from the city doesnt seem to be such a problem.

We spent last Saturday walking the fruit market at Tigre which was lovely - having travelled there on the Coast train. This weekend we hope to go to Temaiken (SP!) as its highly recommeded by colleagues at work and by this forum. Other ideas we have are Palermo lakes and Recoletta - any other suggestions for a day out at the weekend!

Take away food - does it exist! As we are in temporary accomodation, cooking is tricky and eating out gets a bit boring. There must be pizza or other culinary delivery - anyone recommend anything?

We start our Spanish lessons next week - I suspect my wife will learn faster than me considering she already speaks multiple languages, and I rely on 1!

Thanks for your help!

M&A

any local hardware store will have adapters.
Head to San Telmo. Busy market on Sundays but great for getting a feel for the city. La Boca is close but don't walk around/to/from at night. It's dangerous.
For take out nothing can beat Buenos Aires Delivery http://www.buenosairesdelivery.com/
petty much any kind of food you want, they have.
Good luck and welcome.

Transformers - go in to any ferreteria and they should have them. Not hard to find in my experience.

Delivery and take-away exist everywhere downtown but I can't speak for San Isidro as far as recomendations. Even McDonalds delivers here :)

Re: gated community - will you have a car? B/C you'll need one. I don't know Santa Barbara so no help there but lots of friends are in gated communities in Pilar, etc and while they're lovely, they are pretty isolated. If you are in Martinez, you also could look in the city - it's a quick commute from Belgrano, Nunez, etc.

And welcome!

Back