Congress to limit foreign ownership of Argentine land

dr__dawggy said:
This won't. Who knows what tomorrow may bring!

I agree, remember this is a country where both peoples personal bank accounts and retirement savings have been seized by the government, both have occurred in the last ten years so bad things do happen. Seizing property would be a lot harder but they could do something like drastically raising property taxes on people who have multiple units or treating foreigners differently (i.e. taxing your property at a much higher rate than the locals). The possibilities are endless.

gouchobob said:
I agree, remember this is a country where both peoples personal bank accounts and retirement savings have been seized by the government, both have occurred in the last ten years so bad things do happen. Seizing property would be a lot harder but they could do something like drastically raising property taxes on people who have multiple units or treating foreigners differently (i.e. taxing your property at a much higher rate than the locals). The possibilities are endless.
Argies are amazingly clever at finding ways to capture wealth that has been gained by others [either national or foreign] and not very effective at creating an infrastructure that helps to produce domestic growth and generate domestic wealth.
This is not likely to change in the near future. However, I'm not clear as to who this law will impact? Or exactly who's wealth might be targeted.

I think they are mainly reviewing the "southern issue". It went public when they started saying that Stallone had bought a HUGE parcel in the south, comprising not only land but also lakes and natural resources. Now they are in private hands and not available for locals. I don't think they're talking about your flat. But anyway, you can never know here.
Mia.

Back