Contrasting North and South American Christmas Celebrations

I love Christmas here. There is no overwhelming onslaught of buy buy buy, in the States it starts before Halloween.. No Xmas carols everywhere you go. And that Noche Buena is more important than Xmas day.

I didn’t read the OP’s article, which I imagine to be nothing more than a collection of lists like what I’ve previously seen from his output.

However, Christmas is very low-key here compared to other Latin American countries, where decoration of public places is a big feature (I’m thinking Colombia and Venezuela), and definitely with the associated consumerism. Other countries, like here, and the Pacific coast, just prefer to go to the beach 😃. And generally, wherever I’ve been in LatAm, the 24th is the more important day, my better half is preparing Christmas dinner as I write. As kids in Ireland our Christmas started at 6am opening presents under the Christmas tree.

I didn’t read the OP’s article, which I imagine to be nothing more than a collection of lists like what I’ve previously seen from his output.

However, Christmas is very low-key here compared to other Latin American countries, where decoration of public places is a big feature (I’m thinking Colombia and Venezuela), and definitely with the associated consumerism. Other countries, like here, and the Pacific coast, just prefer to go to the beach 😃. And generally, wherever I’ve been in LatAm, the 24th is the more important day, my better half is preparing Christmas dinner as I write. As kids in Ireland our Christmas started at 6am opening presents under the Christmas tree.
It’s the evening of the 24th as opposed to the morning, right? Came back to the UK briefly for Xmas and missing the warmth of BA!

Back