Controlling a USA tablet from Arg for banking etc

VincentKMcMahon

Registered
Is this a common practice among individuals? Specifically for banking and similar activities? I have come across numerous accounts recently regarding individuals being unable to access their accounts after using an Argentine IP address for an extended period. It appears that even VPNs have not been effective in these situations. For someone lacking computer skills, would it be challenging to establish such a setup? Additionally, if one is operating a tablet located in the USA while in Argentina, would that device maintain a USA IP address

I've never had that problem but my Banks abroad know where I reside, and that I have an address which may differ or not from the mailing address. I never needed a vpn to make online bank transactions from anywhere in the world I may be. Something probably lets their system believe that the person trying to access the account is not you.

Last edited:
take a dedicated proxy costs $20 per year;

You can toggle it on/off depending on where you want to be.

I can't think what the problem can be unless you are using the account in some way that makes them nervous. There's an arms race going on between the banks and fraudsters and anything unusual can trigger alarms.

My bank always knows where I am, when I'm going and when I come back. With 2FA I can make any transactions I want from anywhere abroad and I never experience difficulties.

different banks have different rules. as do government agencies.
You need to talk to the bank, on the phone, and describe your situation, and see what they say. Some banks, no problem- I can access my US bank from Argentina, and my Argentine bank from the US, but it depends on the individual bank, what kind of rules they have. I cannot, for example, access my US county government site, but have no problems accessing my state government site, to fill out business forms. No one size fits all.

There is a difference between regular banking accounts and investment brokerage accounts. Different countries regulate access to type of investment instruments available to brokerage accounts. I don't believe regular banking accounts have the same restrictions. If you do some digging you will see brokerage accounts abandoning expats, but I've never seen a regular bank account doing so.

Regarding your question, the tablet purchase source doesn't matter. It's the ISP that determines the connection source (and your domicile).

Sure, you can remote control a tablet or laptop in the US to use as a proxy to access US baking/financial institutions, but you could also just buy a dedicated US proxy and spoof your GPS or disable it too from here.

I use a VPN to US specific streaming online, but have personally never had any issues with banks knowing I'm here.

This could be caused by a DNS leak. A good VPN should solve this, one that avoids DNS leaks. Google "DNS leak test" to find some dns leak test sites.

Side note, I personally don't trust any VPN that is free, but this is orthogonal to the DNS leak issue.

One thing you can do, its on the expensive side - but if you are serious - sign up for an Microsoft Azure account - or some similar provider - and create a virtual machine. This is a computer that lives in a cloud, but of course it really lives in a data center. One of the steps is selecting the location of the virtual machine, so select a location in the US. Also, you can choose to have a dedicated IP address, so the IP address never changes. If you shutdown and click the STOP button when you are not using then it will cost a lot less, and be more secure.

So this option is not a VPN, its a computer located in the US. You can login to that computer remotely. This can also be a good option to protect you against your computer being lost of stolen.

Back