Corruption Perception Index

According to the index, Chile got rated 7.2, the highest in all of LATAM, followed closely by Uruguay. Actually two two countries lead the whole region by an absurdly large margin.
Remember that the index shows levels of "perceived" government corruption, not actual corruption. Still, it seems that Chileans have a pretty decent image of their public institutions. Based on my brief experience there, this perception seems justified.
On the other hand, I was surprised that Brazil ranked as high as 3.8. I thought the perception there would have been more negative.

This index is worth less, it only say how again the media is from the government because what more is perception than what the media show you about that, that been said yes i think politician are corrupt here, more corrupt than in chile and Uruguay for sure, in the other hand much less corrupt than in brazil. But well that is perception after all jajaj :)

Methodologically fraught. Transparency international themselves warn about attempting comparisons between countries or changes in rank for any one country over time ....

From FAQs http://www.transparency.org/whoweare/accountability

" The index primarily provides a snapshot of the views of business people and country analysts, with less of a focus on year-to-year trends.

If comparisons with previous years are made, they should only be based on a country's score, not its rank. A country's rank can change simply because new countries enter the index or others drop out. A higher score is an indicator that respondents provided better ratings, while a lower score suggests that respondents revised their perception downwards.

However, year-to-year changes in a country's score result not only from a changing perception of a country's performance but also from a changing sample and methodology. Each year, some sources are not updated and must be dropped from the CPI, while new sources are added. With differing respondents and slightly differing methodologies, a change in a country's score may also relate to the fact that different viewpoints have been collected and different questions been asked."

Interesting attempt to introduce objectivity into an area where little hard information but not an objective basis for comparisons between e.g Argentina and Brazil since questions are different etc etc

I don't think there's corruption in Argentina.

It's just a sensation of corruption.

very different.... ;)

Back