Cost for Rental Question

Regular long-term. I don't know what a short-term furnished apartment costs.

It makes sense - between the lack of guarantor and short-term nature, the price is far from the typical long-term arrangement in BA.

Thanks again,
Brad

omegabrad said:
Thanks for all of your advice!

To answer your question about Chicago rent, an average studio downtown will run $800 - 1000.

Brad

It's about the same here...in Recloleta.

A studio "downtown" here (El Centro) will cost less, but it isn't really a great place for tourists or short term visitors to stay, especially at night...unless you want to be close to a milango.

Recloleta and milango sound cute but they are not the real deal Steve. Are you drinking?

Thanks for your input, Steve!

It sounds like Recoleta is the upscale neighborhood. That's not really my priority. The proximity to nightlife and safety are most important to me. Would you recommend Palermo or Barrio Norte?

Thank you, everyone.

Brad

There are lots of barrios near palermo that are quieter, cheaper but still walking distance from nightlife. Maybe look at villa crespo or collegiales.

Long-term studio rentals in Colegiales-Villa Crespo, something from 900 to 1200-1300 ARS (Argentinean Pesos), so some USD 300 per month.

Shared apartments with other crazy young foreigners in Congreso or Caballito, some 800 ARS (210 USD).

Maybe try finding shared apartments in Palermo.

Forgot to add: the trick is to find a place where there is an Argentinian that has already a guaranty. A lot of middle class porteños like to rent the big apartments to 3 or 4 young expats because then they get like 2 or 3 times the rent that they would get from renting the entire apartment to an Argentinian family.

Thanks, Marc.

That's a good idea and I will consider it. The only complication is that my cat is joining me...so I already have one crazy young roommate. That eliminates most options for sharing.

marksoc said:
Long-term studio rentals in Colegiales-Villa Crespo, something from 900 to 1200-1300 ARS (Argentinean Pesos), so some USD 300 per month.

Shared apartments with other crazy young foreigners in Congreso or Caballito, some 800 ARS (210 USD).

Maybe try finding shared apartments in Palermo.

Forgot to add: the trick is to find a place where there is an Argentinian that has already a guaranty. A lot of middle class porteños like to rent the big apartments to 3 or 4 young expats because then they get like 2 or 3 times the rent that they would get from renting the entire apartment to an Argentinian family.

omegabrad said:
Greetings Expats,

I am a brand new member to the site. I have learned a lot and I appreciate all of your posts!

I may have missed this post, but I have a question about rent. According to the Annual UBS World Cost of Living report, the average rent in Buenos Aires is approximately one-third the cost of rent in the states (specifically Chicago, my hometown).

While searching online for rentals, I am seeing prices on comparable apartments for only 20%-30% less. That is not consistent with the stats I've read. I have heard that they will try to charge a substantial premium to uninformed expats like myself - is this what I'm seeing?

I plan on spending two months in BA, starting approximately April 20th - June 20th. If anyone knows of any contacts or resources for my apartment search, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Brad
My husband & I rented thru ByTArgentina for one month in a 43 sqmt apt aross from the Recoleta cemetery for $960.00 and then moved for 16 more days to another apt. 48 2m the building is not that great but the apart. is fine on Laprida & Beruti 2 blocks fron Avenida Santa Fe. but because it is less than a month I paid $350 per week. 19 month ago thru the same company I rented a 40 2m on Pueyrredon and French for $770. things have gotten more expensive; including their delicious facturas, which have double in price. In any event when you are here don't bring jewelry keep some money in your pocket but most in a safety belt. there are lots of roberies, purse snatching, and much crime over all and please stay in a safe neighborhood and don't let it be known that you are from the US adn never ever let anyone in the apartment no matter what reasons or explanation they come up with. I was robbed and stubbed in 2007 because I didn't know better and believed that the burglars wer from the other company that I rented from; they had all my information so they sounded very legitimate; the company was bairesapartment. do not use them.

I'm traveling around South America for a year, and staying a month in each big city. It is cheaper to stay a whole month and cheaper the longer you stay.

There are plenty of sites catering to us gringos. I avoided them.
Rental contracts here are usually 2 years, sometimes 1 year.
Alquiler temporario can mean anything for days to 6 months. Ask them if they rent for your specified time.

Go to the clasificado section of the daily newspapers - online versions
They mostly have ads from imobiliarias which have commision charges.

inmuebles.clarin.com Alquiler temporario

zonaprop.com.ar Alquiler temporario

Craigslist.com for buenos aires - you can find owners and they don't have comision fees which are usually 10% or higher.

These sites include a ton of ads. It took me 10 days to search through, map out the ones I wanted, get replies to the ads, (better yet call them, but if you don't speak Spanish get a friend to call for you), and go see the apartments.

I saw 10 apartments under $800 dollars -all furnished studios or 1-bed in areas of Palermo, Recoleta and Abasto. They all had a/c and wifi included. I chose only the ones that included all the bills. Three of them had a pool. I chose one only to be told to wait two days and then the owner cancelled on me. Expect some flakey owners.

The one I finally got was a brand new furnished studio, bedroom area, dining table with four chairs and a nice equipped kitchen. A/C, cable, wifi 3M, all bills included, taxes (abl), gastos comunes (building fees) for $650 a month. It was through a rental agency and they charged 10% of the contract, and we had to pay a month's deposit as well (returnable). 10th floor, balcony and pool. There's a subway stop four blocks away and a Disco supermarket 2 blocks away.

You can find something affordable. I saw furnished apts downtown for $450 and they were kinda grubby looking.

Make sure you ask them if bills are included, and if not how much they usually cost. Bring your laptop to check the wifi. Make sure the faucets work, and check the stove. Walk around the block to get to know the area. How close is a market? Etc.
Warning: One ad we found on Craiglist had photos that were NOT for the advertised apartment.

Good luck. Also, learn Spanish!

Back