Cost of a ticket for international flights goes up due to a tariff increase...

Although this is not the same thing, I would remind everyone that there used to be a 160 USD "reciprocity fee", (or was it 120?), which Macri canceled in 2016.

That was a one-time payment which was valid for years, so this is kind of apples and oranges, but my point is that this is not unprecedented.

I wonder if the idea of this is another measure to discourage Argentinos from going abroad for vacation? The current government has shown an admirable enthusiasm for encouraging Argentinos to vacation within the country, reducing the risk of importing Euro/Anglo zombie virus while boosting the local tourism martket.

Although this is not the same thing, I would remind everyone that there used to be a 160 USD "reciprocity fee", (or was it 120?), which Macri canceled in 2016.

That was a one-time payment which was valid for years, so this is kind of apples and oranges, but my point is that this is not unprecedented.

I wonder if the idea of this is another measure to discourage Argentinos from going abroad for vacation? The current government has shown an admirable enthusiasm for encouraging Argentinos to vacation within the country, reducing the risk of importing Euro/Anglo zombie virus while boosting the local tourism martket.
This only applied to a small amount of countries (foreigners) and was based on the cost that Argentine nationals incur to get visas of those countries. It is a similar visa policy employed by various other countries too.

This on the other hand is an infrastructure tax that everyone must pay. Since the vast majority of travelers passing through international airports in this country are Argentine and not foreigners, for many who must count their pennies it will make a difference and mean that they don’t travel or travel less.

if you're going to whine and complain, understand the protocols beyond your myopic view.....no one has mentioned the heavy cost of a US visa vs. the ''welcome for free'' Argentine tourist visa....the cost for US visas are expensive, and a large portion must be paid at the initial application, whether eventually approved or not.....this levy makes all the sense in the world for a government trying to help their citizens as opposed to the corporations and individuals who feel they are entitled to everything without cos

p.s......I'm really happy to be back....quality of life is not an unknown or abstract concept here, and, everything comes with a price.

if you're going to whine and complain, understand the protocols beyond your myopic view.....no one has mentioned the heavy cost of a US visa vs. the ''welcome for free'' Argentine tourist visa....the cost for US visas are expensive, and a large portion must be paid at the initial application, whether eventually approved or not.....this levy makes all the sense in the world for a government trying to help their citizens as opposed to the corporations and individuals who feel they are entitled to everything without cos

p.s......I'm really happy to be back....quality of life is not an unknown or abstract concept here, and, everything comes with a price.
The US visa costs 16 dollars per year. It's $160 for 10 years. Yes it's an upfront cost but then you can travel as many times as you want. In the case of the ticket tax it's been levied every time you set foot at EZE.

There are probably a couple of differences between the US visa program and this new tax
1) the visa costs do not apply for its own citizens. In fact, a lot of countries are exempt from this visa (Europe, Australia, Japan if I am not mistaken)
2) the visa is also used to minimize illegal immigration. This hardly applies to Argentina
3) Argentina's industry is pretty much dead. One of the few areas that could actually bring in USD in the mid term is international tourism (as soon the Covid mess is over).

I think for most expats this 50 USD (or 100 for return) is doable. I am wondering about those middle class people who have now (in addition to a very weak peso) cough up a minimum salary to fly abroad....

NB: I am happy you can enjoy the quality life in Argentina. In order to do so I am pretty sure you either have income from abroad (or savings there) and either live in a nice barrio in CABA or in a country. Otherwise it is increasingly difficult to enjoy it here with poverty rate hitting the 50% mark.

You are looking at it from a sense of equity. The US makes it very costly for Argentines and others to just apply for a visa. Some Argentines and those in government view it as you do...that it's the fair thing to do, since other countries like the US are doing it to Argentine citizens.

The alternative point of view is the economic one. A price elasticity of demand model may show that by adding on these extra taxes or fees that it decreases the demand to travel to Argentina and actually reduces the total amount of money coming into Argentina - taking into consideration the VAT.

Is this a levy because the government is trying to help their citizens? Or alternatively is it a levy to increase margin for the airport operators who are already wealthy?

I don't know the answer to the either of the above, but the issue is not so simple as well another country does it to us so it's only fair we do it to them.

You are looking at it from a sense of equity. The US makes it very costly for Argentines and others to just apply for a visa. Some Argentines and those in government view it as you do...that it's the fair thing to do, since other countries like the US are doing it to Argentine citizens.

The alternative point of view is the economic one. A price elasticity of demand model may show that by adding on these extra taxes or fees that it decreases the demand to travel to Argentina and actually reduces the total amount of money coming into Argentina - taking into consideration the VAT.

Is this a levy because the government is trying to help their citizens? Or alternatively is it a levy to increase margin for the airport operators who are already wealthy?

I don't know the answer to the either of the above, but the issue is not so simple as well another country does it to us so it's only fair we do it to them.

I see your point, but I think there may be more to it....to begin with, my observation was not meant as a ''quid pro quo'' but simply pointing out that fees, taxes and levy's are everywhere....it's not a matter of Argentine abuse....as with everything, you have to consider the timing.....I can't think of any industry with more abusive pricing than that which the airlines have developed....and gotten away with.....they will exploit any situation, and this is no exception....it COULD BE that Argentina decided to get their ''nickel'' before the airlines grabbed it all.

I see your point, but I think there may be more to it....to begin with, my observation was not meant as a ''quid pro quo'' but simply pointing out that fees, taxes and levy's are everywhere....it's not a matter of Argentine abuse....as with everything, you have to consider the timing.....I can't think of any industry with more abusive pricing than that which the airlines have developed....and gotten away with.....they will exploit any situation, and this is no exception....it COULD BE that Argentina decided to get their ''nickel'' before the airlines grabbed it all.
It is not true that airlines have abusive pricing - in the US and some other “strange” markets where competition is limited and the LCC model has not really taken off I would tend to agree but as for the rest of the world.. flying is ridiculously cheap versus the ROI and yields achieved (or achievable) by these companies.

Here is what you pay when your booking a flight from Argentina - and it’s rarely the airline getting the lion’s share:

4460687A-B4CA-4B85-8AAF-BD66CB7BD1AE.png

Attachments

• 8D545FDB-D0C6-43C6-843A-321B7D890187.png
    8D545FDB-D0C6-43C6-843A-321B7D890187.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
A tax of 57 USD per traveller in itself will only have a limited impact, but this is not a country with simple taxes. You have a multitude of taxes here, the more, the better.

Back