Cost of Living in BA?

Musicman

Registered
Hi,

Finally I am thinking of moving back to BA from a 10 year hiatus working in the States. The big question I have after reading about inflation, etc is how much money will I need to live comfortably each month going out for a meal at the weekend, a few bottles of wine during the week, shopping, cinema, electric, etc + renting a nice 100 square metre modern apt in Palermo area. I am 50 years of age with my partner

Thanks in advance for comments

I agree, everybody's idea of ¨living comfortably¨ differs, and to put it bluntly and I include myself in this, so I'm not trying to offend anybody, ex-pats tend to be quite spoiled when it comes to standards of living. I have seen it in Spain (where I am from) and I see it here and as I said, I include myself in this factor when it comes to Buenos Aires, as the lifestyle differs considerably in some factors when you compare Buenos Aires to Madrid.
I have heard some on this board moan that 10.000 pesos a month is ¨just making it¨ here but then I see plenty of my Argentine friends who live quite well on their salaries of 3.500-5.000 pesos a month and are not complaining or lacking of anything.
In my opinion its really all about how you spend your money and what you chose to splurge on and what you chose to cut back on. In my case, I will gladly spend 65 pesos on a nice ojo de bife at a decent restaurant but will NOT spend 39 pesos on a can of mixed cocktail nuts at Careffour, just to give you an idea of how unpredictable and how there seems to be no rhyme or reason in why some things are outrageous while others can be a deal.
While I have only been here for a month, as someone who is originally from Madrid but have also lived half my life in the States, I still would consider, in most cases, Buenos Aires to have a pretty decent cost of living and think you get a lot of ¨bang for your buck¨ here, more so if you are dealing with foreign income/currency.

Musicman said:
Hi,

Finally I am thinking of moving back to BA from a 10 year hiatus working in the States. The big question I have after reading about inflation, etc is how much money will I need to live comfortably each month going out for a meal at the weekend, a few bottles of wine during the week, shopping, cinema, electric, etc + renting a nice 100 square metre modern apt in Palermo area. I am 50 years of age with my partner

Thanks in advance for comments

The rent issue will really define your limits more than anything. $USD1800 will get you a great place in a great location and after that a living allowance of 6k pesos will honestly gtee you a good quality of life with mid week and weekend excursions.

I am your age, American, and have spent the last 3 months renting short term apartments, looking at long term ones, and checking out the cost of living overall.

While I have admittedly high standards and would surely fall into the spoiled expat category, under no circumstances can I imagine any expat my age living happily on under $5000 pesos.

The number one question I have is how were you living in the States? Were you living in a high cost city and used to high prices or in a small Southern or MW town with a low cost of living? Were you living on a high, medium or low salary? Did you have an OK home or a nice one?

That's the first thing I'd ask because I think Baires is a bargain in you were living a high cost lifestyle in the US. My home in the States is in an expensive part of CA. On an executive salary, BA seems like a relative bargain to me. For my college student daughter who goes to school in
rural New England, it seems on par with her cost of living there.

There are certainly expats for whom Baires is a great deal. Those who were paying $15,000 for a nice apartment in NYC who can get one of similar quality here for $6000. Those who frequently paid over $250 for a nice meal for 2 with a good wine who can do that for less than half here. $650 pesos is much less than you'd pay for a good steak most places in the US. We also eat at many upper middle restaurants for much less than we pay in the SF Bay Area.

People who use a lot of household help and paid nannies and housekeepers $3000/mo in the US can get them in Baires for under $500/mo and save a bundle. Good wine is cheap. Services from laundry to labor for remodeling a home is a fraction of what it is in the US.

Yet that's not most people. The 100 M2 apartment in Palermo would be of similar cost to one in Houston--$800 for one a young college grad might like and $2000 for one a 50 year old executive would find pleasant but not luxurious. The bargain in housing is in buying. Nice houses sell for a fraction of what you'd pay in a major US city.

Groceries are a wash, somethings more expensive, others less, but my overall spending is about the same.

And the most important thing to consider is inflation. I would not move to AR as a retiree on a fixed income. Being paid in dollars or Euro, or having a considerable nest egg in one of those currencies is where you can live well. It's very likely the peso will significantly devalue in the near future.

I love BA, and miss it being back in the states for a couple of months (no one delivers ice cream here!), but at my age, given the volatility of Argentina, I would never want to be in the position to not be able to leave at will, and I'd want an inflation hedge.

Good luck!

I have no idea what your shopping or dining costs would be (since it totally depends on your personal consumption preferences), but as of last month:

Movie theater ticket -- $33
Bottle of wine bought at Disco -- anywhere from $22 (decent) to $50 (very good) to $70 (excellent)
Cafe con leche -- $13-16
Lunchtime salad or sandwich -- $30-35
Bag of laundry washed, dried, and folded -- $16-26 (depending on size)

For current restaurant menu prices, I recommend poking around the BA Delivery site (they update often), and you can get a sense of furnished rental prices on any number of agency sites (ByT is a good one to start with.)

Thanks to all......currently I am living and working in Houston Texas and indeed have a very good standard of living as a business executive but with the kids leaving home now my wife and I (argentine wife) are thinking about staying on the states or spending some of our retirement years in ba. What I like about ba is that it s go that big European city feel about it but at a much lower cost. Yes, I guess you could call me a spoiled expat but my retirement budget is not that high given that it has to last us both over many years. We are looking for a comfortable but not necessarily luxurious life with eating out from time to time and enjoying a decent bottle of wine now and then. I won't have the budget I had when I was working. Would it be beter to buy a property as we plan to stay there probably for around 10 years and was wondering whether I could get some business consulting work given my experience at a fairly high executive level and I also speak fluent Spanish

Your best bet for consulting work is to find it in the States. Getting paid in dollars will be the key to living well. Salaries here are very low. If you have more work than you can handle alone, you can grow a small business making US rates and paying your staff Argentine wages. Quite common.

Musicman, As a fellow Houstonian who has an Argentine wife, I am in a similar situation. Our "kids" are grown and moving out. They will probably stay in the U.S.A. so we would need to budget for travel back and forth at least yearly.

I did buy a 2 bedroom apartment back in 1985 which is great, and I don't need a car, since it is one block from the subte, and I can do my shopping for all necessities by walking no more than a block or two. I could live there well within our means and enjoy some nice restaurants and evenings out several times a week.

My major worry is the economic problems that cause large fluctuations in the value of the peso against the dollar. Things in Argentina were really expensive back before 1983. Then they got really cheap after the Malvina/Falkland War and the ensuing inflation. Then they were expensive again when the peso was pegged to the dollar for a number of years until it was once again floated.

Several things are always inexpensive compared to the United States. Healthcare, which is important to older folks, is always cheaper in Argentina. Also flowers and wine are cheaper, no matter what the exchange rate, which is great for romantics.

captainmcd said:
Several things are always inexpensive compared to the United States. Healthcare, which is important to older folks, is always cheaper in Argentina. Also flowers and wine are cheaper, no matter what the exchange rate, which is great for romantics.

As Lee said - too many variables I think to answer.

And my only comment is that healthcare costs are increasing dramatically. I'm in my 30s, totally healthy and am paying 1200+ pesos a month for healthcare - and that's just for me. In 2008, I was paying 350 pesos a month.

Back