Courses at UBA

cavemanugh

Registered
Hi,

I'm thinking about taking a few courses at UBA or any university in BA. Does anyone know what is required to register and or what else I may need? Can anyone tell me the approximate costs also?

I'm an American living here in Argentina full-time but on a tourist visa leaving every 3 months, will that also be a problem to register?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,
Sam

I have never registered at la UBA for anything but I know that it is a bit chaotic and confusing to do.

If you are taking Spanish classes for foreigners it should be much easier....what type of classes are you planning to take?

I am currently in a graduate degree program at a private university and it was very simple to sign up, the key is that if you plan to do a degree program you will qualify for residency which puts you on track for your DNI, etc. I know that some degree programs (like the MBA at UADE) require the student to have a DNI in order to get their diploma. If you are trying to get a DNI a student visa is an excellent back door to residency. Ojo that your program will need to be at least 12 months long otherwise you only qualify for residencia precaria and its useless from an immigration point of view.

The costs at private schools for 1-2 year grad programs is approximately 500-1050 pesos monthly (MBAs are much more expensive though). There are some scholarships based on merit. Grad school seems to be the same price if not less compared to undergrad but that´s just my perception.

Suerte!

I've done it. Find out the day registration begins and get there the first day at least half an hour before registration starts. There will be a line at this time of the year and the place gets mobbed. I think the classes are only okay. They are much cheaper than a private school and just as good, though.

oxente! said:
The costs at private schools for 1-2 year grad programs is approximately 500-1050 pesos monthly (MBAs are much more expensive though). There are some scholarships based on merit. Grad school seems to be the same price if not less compared to undergrad but that´s just my perception.

Suerte!

oxente: which school are you attending? i've been looking at various programs and nothing is as cheap as 500 pesos a month! maybe i've been contacting the wrong people...i would love to study here but not if it costs an arm and a leg (which is still cheaper than in the states, duh, but i earn in pesos and so have to spend in pesos, obvio). any info you have would be fab. thanks!

For undergraduates (even foreigners) the UBA is free- thank you Argentinian public education!

It sort of depends on what your goals are and how much time you have. I have known a few people that came here to do their whole degree (for free.) I am not sure what their policy is about signing up as a student just to take a few courses. If you just want to go to classes because they are interesting, it may make more sense/be less hassle for you to just audit some classes. Just talk to the professor about it, I think it is pretty unusual that one would have a problem. But I would suggest finding out when the first class is, and going and talking to them from the beginning, as opposed to just showing up one day. I am auditing an astronomy course right now :)

PS. The exception is language classes-- note, you cannot take language classes for free at the UBA!
PPS. I am a little partial to the UBA. I have never been to a class at any of the private universities, but I have talked with students that go to them and students that go to the UBA.. the gyst I get is that the UBA is generally recognized as having a higher level and being more demanding of its students. (That is just an outsider's take, I am not saying it is true!)(The UBA students I've talked with say the private school students "pay for their degree." And the private school students say the UBA is artificially hard just to weed people out because they don't have enough resources for all the students. Who knows whats true.)

AmyMiranda - I go to the Universidad de San Andrés. The official arrancel for my program is 870 pesos a month but I got a 25% scholarship so its around 640 a month. For example you can do the grad programs at a place like UNSAM (Univ. Nac. de San Martin) and they should be cheaper than private school grad programs but you will still need to pay. My program at San Andres has a competing program offered by UNSAM for about half the price per month (I think its 400 pesos).

oxente! said:
AmyMiranda - I go to the Universidad de San Andrés. The official arrancel for my program is 870 pesos a month but I got a 25% scholarship so its around 640 a month. For example you can do the grad programs at a place like UNSAM (Univ. Nac. de San Martin) and they should be cheaper than private school grad programs but you will still need to pay. My program at San Andres has a competing program offered by UNSAM for about half the price per month (I think its 400 pesos).

oxente - what type of scholarship did you get (and how)? the website mentions financial aid but i'm assuming you mean a merit-based scholarship. i am looking at U de San Andres, among other options, which is why i am interested.

tinto -- Sorry I was not clear -- I am getting financial aid not merit based aid.

Back