Courses at UBA

I started at UVA about a month ago. $1300 pesos for 8 week course mon-thu 2 hours a day - the level based on an entrance assessment you take on enrollment day. Enrollment is pretty chaotic but after that it all goes pretty smoothly. Option of classes in Palermo Armenia y Cabrera or in the centre.

pros: cheap - large class sizes (good to meet people)
cons: large class sizes (limited speaking time)

I don't recommend it as a good way to learn - but is is ok if you put in time around the classes and are looking for somewhere more likely to have larger student numbers.

I quite liked UBA Spanish (the Language Lab at the downtown location), and my classes had 10 people or fewer. I took levels 6 and 7 (8 is the highest), so perhaps that has something to do with it. The level of instruction was outstanding - much better than Lenguas Vivas.

In the summer, the accelerated classes could be packed - has anyone else had experience with this?

Hi Sam!

I did it last year! So I can give you some pretty useful information about UBA.

The first piece of information that I think is the main punto de partida for you to understand how to go about enrolling yourself is that UBA is not governed like a US university. This is something a newly hired professor with his PhD from UBA in Anthropology at my university shared with me, and it helped me understand the system much better. EACH FACULTAD, or college, governs itself and is 100% independent in governance structure. It is unlike a US university or a private one in which there is an overarching university administration that sets standard policies for the entire institution. So after studying in UBA, to talk about THE UBA does not really make sense to me...there really is no one UBA, but a bunch of UBAs, each with their own policies and culture. This means policies about entering foreign students will vary from facultad to facultad.

I studied at the Facultad de Ciencias Economicas in some senior level courses in economics and also in the language center CUI. I tell ya, in FCE, they do not throw you bone just because you are not a native speaker of Spanish! I worked my butt off to pass, and in all my classes except one, I think the other couple foreign students -all from Europe - all did not pass the course, though they seemed to have a social life outside of school that probably had a lot to do with it 'cause you HAVE to read most of the material to pass....though, flunking is not a "shameful" thing in la UBA, like we think of it in the US (oh no! you flunked), as half the students often are not passed in some of the hardest courses. They have more of an attitude of, "Come back next time and try again to raise the level of your understanding," which is a great attitude. Professors could care less if you turn in your homework or show up; all the effort and responsibility is in the hands of the student. They don't spoon food you ANYTHING - which can be frustrating - they blurt that a new article is at the photocopy store, which you just barely catch at the end of the two hour lecture and confirm with your compañeros just to be sure...then, it turns out you never get to the article and don't need it or it's 1 of 4 parcial questions. I have so much love for FCE: people come into the middle of classes and tell their hardship story just like on the subte and ask for coins, and a pounding drowningly loud march could be going on, and the teacher just keeps lecturing. It's so bad ass. And if you love living in BsAs as you do, you will love this kind of chaos and challenge!

That said, in order to get in FCE asked for a transcript, a letter from a language school or authority affirming I already had dominio over the Spanish language, a letter of recommendation from a university official, proof of medical insurance and of course, letter of motivation from me, and curriculum vitae. FCE has an "International Student" office, which has what seems to be one staff person, maybe two. I just emailed anyone I could find online for Estudiantes Visitantes and asked politely who to direct me to for enrollment; since you are here, you could just go directly to the centro de estudiantes. If you are doing this for the visa, ASK specifically for the office or people who deal with enrolling international students because they will be the ones to get you the letter to take to the Immigration Office. They wanted all documents translated, which I got away with doing myself and not saying anything.

In order to have all the documents Argentina requests online for a student visa (e.g. apostilled criminal records and birth certificate, etc), you need to be applying and admitted to a year long course of studies for the year long student visa. Otherwise, for a semester, I only needed antecedentes policiales from Argentina (my criminal record for a country at the time, I had lived in a couple weeks).

FCE was free as I was a visiting undergraduate student, but as I always say, you pay in sweat equity, but it was well worth it. Sometimes the sweat is not productive sweat-because you can spend 3 sleepless days on a TP and get a three and find out you did it all wrong and not know why. It is not free for graduate studies, but as I remember, it would be about $2000 USD for an entire Masters there, though again you pay in other ways there. The solidarity and the seriousness of the students was a great change from my US university, and the politics inside is even more fascinating (that could be a whole other post)!

CUI, or the languages institute, is 180 degrees from Facultad de Ciencias Economicas in its level of demand and the stress you will experience taking a course....as I am sure it is from the other facultades. It charges for its Español para Extranjeros, as does the Language Laboratory under the FFL. CUI is technically under the Facultad de Agronomía, but I heard better informal reviews from expats about CUI than the Spanish classes offered at the Language Laboratory under UBA's Facultad de Filosofía y Letras http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/extranjeros/ingles/extranjeros.htm. I took the month long Ciclo 7 course and had a class of 4-5 student (depending on who showed). It was in no way a DIFFICULT class, but I got a lot out of it. I fell in love with one of my teachers, as she was the first Argentine woman I met with her intense, beautiful way of speaking and her great knowledge and fascination of culture and literature and ideas. It was the perfect intro to Argentine Spanish if you already have a strong base of book Spanish, but I would not take it if you have lived here a while with a strong base of Spanish because the value I got out of it was more as an indirect intro to Argentine vocab and mind.

Hope this helps!

I DISAGREE. I studied at CUI in Español para Extranjeros; I found the CUI staff professional and helpful. The idea of somehow your SPOT being gone because you don’t pay big bucks to a THIRD PARTY group NOT EVEN associated with la UBA sounds like a scare marketing tactic I have heard before.
If he is still there, here is the direct email of Diego, who works at the desk for Español para Extranjeros at UBA: [email protected]. The Spanish office is at Junin 222 on the 3rd or 4th floor, somewhere up there with lots of stairs! A polite, short email, even in English, expressing your concerns about their being an open spot, or vacante, for you when you get here along with your other questions about the placement test, should help quell your fears. There are plenty of English speakers at CUI that can answer even if you speak no Spanish.
Study agencies are just like travel packages and travel agencies…it is a time benefit thing, and absolutely NOT NECESSARY, especially if you are an adult student and not looking for transfer credit through a US university or to keep your government financial aid, even then, you can get transfer credit (as I did) more easily I would imagine through a known entity like UBA than through a private institute. If you don’t have the time to do all the research beforehand-which can get expensive if you show up without a plan-then by all means go through an agency. It depends on your resources, but agencies always try to feed on our very human fears that we might be far from home and something goes wrong….always have a backup plan like numbers and money for hostels or cheap hotels at the worst. Just because something goes wrong or differently, does not make it a crisis.
If you already speak decent Spanish, at least "intermediate"…with your Spanish and English and research on forums like these, you will be able to get around. If you don't speak any Spanish, you probably won't be able to get off any more cheaply and an agency might be the way to go. Agencies sometimes can set you up with better housing if you are only coming for a month, but you can also work that out through forums and sights. I got a room on Craig’s List BsAs last years for 300 dollars all inclusive and until I found it, stayed at a really cool hostel with great people who got me oriented in the city (Garden House on Avenida San Juan even though it’s kinda near Congreso) in a room of 12 people, for 12 dollars a night (which has surely risen with inflation here). Make a reservation at a hostel in advance, and even if you have to stay at a hostel the whole time, you will have a fun time and still not pay as much.
If something goes “wrong,” you lose your bags, get mugged, miss a bus, lose your credit card (all of which can happen going with an agency), if you don’t go through an agency you will have more money in your bank account to solve the problem.

I know that trusting others doesn’t come easy to us as Americans but moving to and/or studying abroad is a great exercise in learning to put your faith in others, pasa lo que pasa. The people that work in the UBA are not boludos, and in fact, I had many bureaucracy and problems in the end with my US university but none with UBA FCE and CUI.

Hey guys...

I'm planning to do a MA in Journalism in BA and have been trying to find some universities. So far I've only found a 2 year course at UBA, which looks well good...But I need more options. Any ideas?

Is it hard to find grad courses taught in English? I'm assuming that the Journalims course at UBA is taught in English as the info on their website is in English...

What are the MA tuition fees like?

I'd really appreciate a reply as I'm completely lost at the moment....

Cheers

Thanks for clarifying. I am starting to look for a good Spanish class to take and was quite surprized at many of the rates and programs I was finding online... and not liking the general 'tone' of many of the schools I was finding.

Montreal is obviously host to many people coming to learn French - and many Francophones wanting to learn English - and I was shocked that many of the rates to learn Spanish in BA are comparable to what you can find here, where the salaries and cost of living are significantly higher.

I guess the intrinsic problem of finding a good place to learn Spanish is that they are by definition geared towards foreigners, and are accordingly priced. I definitely noticed a lot of 'scare tactic' marketing which I suppose works for now, but as BA catches up with digital marketing trends here, will eventually go the way of the dodo. Any schools that are smart enough to develop and present their services in such a way that is competitive, transparent and doesn't clearly try to manipulate the fears their target clientele will no doubt do VERY well. They won't need to charge abnormally high fees (for BA) due to increased demand, particularly if they can leverage digital marketing (SEO/SEM) and social media to its full potential.

Hey guys...Has anyone heard of, or have any experience from mente Argentina?
They do preparations courses for foreign students.

Help plese

I hate to bump this rediculously old thread, but the last poster asked about MA, I was wondering if anyone (or the person above me) knows anything about them. I, too, am planning on going to BA in may and will be there about two months with MA (maybe) and was wondering if I should do this or just go directly through the school? Do they have an exchange program like American Universities?

If you have a DNI are Spanish classes at school and/or language institute cheaper?

Back